Managing Radion LEDs

Sk8r

Staff member
RC Mod
I'm using a single Radion in a 100 gallon bow, which is 36" deep, and get pretty good coverage. Those are two good questions to ask into when you get leds---how wide, and how deep.

Because my bow doesn't have enough room for multiple kits, I have to assume there will be some 'zones' in the tank, which is one reason I'm toying with the idea of a mixed reef. That lets the corals that need bright light exist high up, while the ones that need less can find a home down lower. There's always a problem with mixed reefs, in that softies spit and lps stoney reaches out and grabs. You can keep vulnerable corals more than 6" (the usual reach) of the stoney, but when softies spit, they can be disagreeable to everybody in a mixed tank ---the ocean can dissipate it, but in a tank, it just keeps annoying everything including the spitter. Carbon can help this situation. And some spit worse than others---leather corals being among the worse, IME. Mushrooms and zoas, not so much.
We'll see. I have some planning to do.

Another small matter: light adjustment. I'm seeing 70% as a good moderate level for these lights on an average 8 hour cycle up and down, with a little restraint on the whites and a little more nudge up on the blues. That's my theory, at least. The fish seem to like it better. If you have LEDS and all your fish seek caves at noon, that's a good indication you could lower the level a bit.

I'm using the Radion directly from my computer, and took me 30 minutes to realize, no, the program really prefers Chrome instead of Firefox. Once I had that sorted out, it all went fine. Note to self: remember that.

Anyway, we will let it ride here for a bit and see how critters like it. My bellwether (sensor) is the bubbletip anemone. When it's happy, I'll know something useful about the light conditions in there. I don't own a par meter. But if my fish are frolicking and the nem is extending, things can't be bad. Next we see if the monti keeps growing.

....yep, anemones and SPSs LOVE Radions - maybe a TAD too bright for the softies, though!!
IS that the new xr30W G4 Radion that you have??? :) I want a pair for my 90 gal! Frigging expensive though!!

Last edited:
Yes. Which is another reason why there is only one! ;) Among the many inconveniences of a bowfront, are a few outstanding virtues (fitting in a corner) ---and taking only one light is another.

You might consider a DIY T5HO supplementation to reduce dead spots.

My corals took over since I supplemented my LEDs with T5s. It is a very simple DIY setup I made using SunBlaster fixtures with their hanging kit. The only thing ypu would need to replace the bulbs that the fixtures come with (since they are for plant growth and are very warm in color).

Even with the bow front, you'll need more than 1 light if you want to eliminate the shadowing and have SPS corals all throughout the tank. If you keep SPS near the center, then shouldn't be an issue. Placement for those types of corals will be limited though, unless you get some sort of supplemental lighting or add another radion.

Back