mandarin pair

sterling18

WMAS and HVReef Member
While at the LFS shopping for grub for my tank buddies, I saw a pair of mandarins in a tank. First look one was bigger than the other. One was kinda fluttering about one spot where the other was kinda hanging out. They arrived for about two days now.

I thought mandarins can't stand to have their own near by.

Can't tell their sex yet, but could they be a mated pair, which is why they are not chasing ear other around? It's almost like one was watching out for the other.

LMK what you think. Price was not bad, but my tank is not ready yet for them. I want my refugium to be running longer before they move in.

If one was a little bigger, had a much much bigger dorsal fin, and a slightly brighter face, that was male. The opposite characteristics are female. In the store, male mandarins (all dragonets, in fact) often tolerate each other, but once they've established territory they do get a bit meaner to other males. Females generally don't care, just like in real life.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6488425#post6488425 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by IanInDC
If one was a little bigger, had a much much bigger dorsal fin, and a slightly brighter face, that was male. The opposite characteristics are female. In the store, male mandarins (all dragonets, in fact) often tolerate each other, but once they've established territory they do get a bit meaner to other males. Females generally don't care, just like in real life.

That almost describes them. One was bigger, more active, bigger dorsal fin, stood up a couple of times. While the smaller was less active, did see the dorsal fin up. They just hung with each other more or less never too far away from each other either.

Just wanted to add that the green ones are a little harder to sex than the red/blue ones. It helps to know that the green male's dorsal fin is closer in size to the female red ones.

At least IME pairing them is easy. I just put a male & female in the tank & they were courting by the next day.

You should also probably choose a female that is clearly smaller than the male. I didn't buy mine together. Just found a male I liked & when a female was available I added her.

PS I totally reccommend a mandarin pair -- they are sooo cute together :D

Sorry for bad photo - but here's my pair. BTW I chose green because they don't get as big as the red ones (pods)

5247125mandarins-med.jpg

mantisagogo,

Thank you for sharing, they are wonderful.

The male is on the right and the female is on the left. Correct?

I think so -- honestly it's hard to tell from that photo.

Here's another one of them together - you can see the female's obviously swollen tummy. :D But still not a good one to show how to distinguish between m/f in general. They need to have their dorsal fins erect.
If you're interested I'll pry the camera from my husband this weekend & try to get some photos that would really help you.

5247125mandarin_both-med.jpg

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6490835#post6490835 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by mantisagogo
I think so -- honestly it's hard to tell from that photo.

Here's another one of them together - you can see the female's obviously swollen tummy. :D But still not a good one to show how to distinguish between m/f in general. They need to have their dorsal fins erect.
If you're interested I'll pry the camera from my husband this weekend & try to get some photos that would really help you.

5247125mandarin_both-med.jpg

Thanks Marie, that would be great.

The dorsal fin of a male mandarin has a spike (seems reasonable) and the female has a rounded dorsal. They will actually mate in the aquarium just after lights go out. If you want to see pictures of the "other kind" mating see my gallery.

Ok, the LFS has been feeding them CYCLOP-EEZE. They have been eating that for the couple of days now.

I've asked him to hold them for me. If they continue to take CYCLOP-EEZE, I'm all over them.

One is male and the other is female. Verified by the doral fin. One's got a huge spike like and the other is rounded.

They seems to like each other company as they never stray far from each other.

I've got the frozen CYCLOP-EEZE at home so I should be good to go.

My refugium has been up and running for close to 4 months now and the pod population have been booming. I've been dosing DT for that. I hope between feeding CYCLOP-EEZE and the live pods they should do ok until my refugium matures more.

I've got a 10 gal sump and 10 gal refugium with LR and chaeto.

You think I can go for it?

Back