Mangrove?

shinny

Can I keep mangroves under a 5100k NO light? Can I keep the light on 24/7? Thanks for the help. I think they are red mangroves but i am not sure. How do you tell the difference?

5100k really doesnt do alot to describe the light. 5100k is good, but is it PC, Flourescent, incandescent, or halide, and how many watts? Plants do better when a period of dark is provided. Not sure on id, but I'm sure someone else here can help.

It tends to be easiest to tell the different mangrove species apart by looking at the shape of the propagule. Red mangrove has long cigar shaped propagules from 4-8" in length typically and black mangroves have small heart or bean shaped propagules that are 2-3" in diameter. These two are the most common ones.

I am really not sure that 75watts is going to be enough to get a mangrove to grow well. They are slow growers to start with and need pretty intense light to do well. Some of the best setups with them have used sunlight, such as Triteriums' setup seen in this thread. He is also using red mangroves in these shots.

See also Reproductive strategies of mangroves for pictures.

Edit: Well there you go, he beat me to the punch. ;)

>Sarah

I agree, I'm currently growing 2 in a freshwater riverine biotope tank with a basic 18" 15w t8 approx 20" above the water and 8" above the top leaves. Growth is slow and the plants are lankier than I would like but they do survive.

Also, I'm growing them in a freshwater riverine environment which removes the need to isolate & process salt.

I've also found that they do better with a night period. They were'nt nearly as healthy & and had noticeable yellowing of the leaves when I had the light on 24/7. The light is on about 14 hours a day.

-Don

I light mine 12 hours a day with a 6500k 65 watt LOA PC fixture. Root growth is incredible but so far leaf growth is slow.

If you're looking for fast growth and dont really care about nutrient export, then id suggest bright light and a DSB with fertilizer tabs.

Here's the most recent photo of my mangroves. They are definately worth the effort

20060427_152304_temp_272.jpg

< ----- Jealous!! :D You definitely have some of the best looking mangroves I've seen in the hobby. And, for what its worth, the growth rates you are getting out of fert tabs, greenhouse sunlight and other facets of your system are providing for faster growth than I've noticed from wild mangroves in FL.

>Sarah

yea, I just got some cheato so I am going to be using that with mangroves. I was just curious if they would grow/ survive. BTW those mangroves are cool.

yes, how do you grow them like this? do you use regular water, saltwater, brackish water? i m ean the evaporation rate must be insane...so can mangroves grow in pond water?

Back