Mantis for sale on FFexpress today

Jared Cooper

Just thought I'd let anyone know that they are available right now. I just ordered one, I 've been waiting to get a Odontodactylus scyllarusa for a while now, can't wait till it comes tomorrow.

I got my O.s from ffexpress last week on sale. It came very well packed and is a beautiful female with a killer personality. She is about 5" maybe a litte more.
chris

I ordered one and they are going to try to pick out a male for me, so I can try to breed my female. If not, oh well, I'll have to set up another tank and try again. :D

Jennifer

Well here it is one pic is from the top one from the bottom. It is a lot bigger than I expected, about 5" and thick. My 6 gallon eclipse seems to small for it but the water quality will always be perfect because it is hooked up to my main 120 gallon SPS tank.

For anyone who cares....
I figured out why my last one died during the molt. The fresh water from my auto top off shoots right onto the pump in my sump that feeds water into my mantis tank. So every time the sump tops itself off, the matnis tank got a heavy amount of fresh water pumped into it. Man I am glad I figured that out, what a stupid mistake.

jsronce and clay post pics of your shrimps if you can. I'd be interested in seeing them especially if you ended up getting a male jsronce

Grrrr. They ran out of peacocks! My order has been delayed to ship Tuesday, providing they get another load of mantis shrimps. Some others are delayed, too. :( I'm still hoping to get a male.

I've attached a pic of my female - she looks a lot like yours, Jared.

This first link is to an article by Dr. Caldwell on stomatopod sex:

http://www.blueboard.com/mantis/bio/mating2.htm

This next page has a diagram of a male stomatopod. The reproductive organs are the short appendages (you only see one since it's a side view) attached to the base of the 8th pair of legs (the last pair of walking legs).

http://www.blueboard.com/mantis/intro/what.htm

Males also have brighter coloration, from what I've heard. Male peacocks are a bright green, while my girl is a drab olive.

Hope this helps!

Jennifer

Jared Cooper said:
jsronce and clay post pics of your shrimps if you can. I'd be interested in seeing them especially if you ended up getting a male jsronce

sure ill take a pic... cuz im stealing clays.. actually im trading him mine,, plus 18.00 for the peacock ;)

Back