Mantis habitat destruction and conservation.

Islandoftiki

I'm adding this following statement to my tank build threads on all three of the forums that I frequent. If anybody wants to copy and add it to their threads, you are very welcome to do so. I would also like to Thank Dr. Caldwell for supplying much of the information contained herein. It's a small thing to do, but hopefully will help people make more informed choices about what mantis shrimp to keep.

The statement (feel free to correct any inaccuracies or add your own opinions):

Hey folks, I just wanted to make a short statement about Gonodactylaceus ternatensis and coral habitat destruction. There are three things I'd like to cover here: The unfortunate collection process of G. ternatensis, misidentification of G. ternatensis and good alternatives for your aquarium.

Unlike most mantis shrimp, G. ternatensis makes its home in finely branching, delicate corals such as Pocillopora. Their dens are easily identified amongst the corals. To quickly collect the mantis for sale in the aquarium trade, the coral colonies are unceremoniously smashed to access the mantis den and the corals are severely damaged or destroyed altogether. Coral reefs are in enough danger without humans intentionally doing damage to them while collecting animals to sell for our entertainment. I would strongly recommend you chose a different variety of mantis.

Very often, because G. ternatensis has colorful markings, they are often misidentified as a Peacock mantis (Odontodactylus scyllarus). It should be noted that O. Scyllarus also has some issues. O. scyllarus requires some very specific aquarium conditions and is highly susceptible to shell rot. It should not be kept in a lighted aquarium which is one of the known factors in shell rot. Additionally, over the past 10-15 years, Dr. Roy Caldwell has noticed a sharp decline in large adult males in the wild. This would make the Peacock mantis another poor choice. Unfortunately, this is one of the most commonly available mantis shrimp and one of the most desired in the aquarium trade.

So, G. ternatensis and O. scyllarus are not the best choices for your new best buddy and you want a colorful and interactive mantis shrimp. Now what? Don't despair. There are a couple of better choices when it comes to mantis shrimp varieties. They might require you look a little further and spend a little more time locating them, but your effort with go a long way toward conserving both coral habitat and these awesome creatures. Gonodactylaceus graphurus is a very colorful and a better choice for your new pal. Also, Gonodactylaceus glabrous is another good choice as is Gonodactylus smithii, another beautiful and interactive mantis and a fairly common on in the aquarium trade.

I am also a proponent of adopting an unwanted hitchhiker and giving it a good home. Of course, all mantis shrimp will require a dedicated tank and you should do your research before setting up your own mantis habitat.

For more information, check out Roy's list!

As a proud owner of two previously unwanted hitch hikers from the Caribbean, I can say that I agree with the above statement, especially the last part. I know they're just stomatopods, but it is nice knowing that I've given them good homes and while not as colorful as the species mentioned above, they have their own special charm. They also stay smaller, which is great for somebody starting out with stomatopods like myself.

L

I was looking for a smaller variety in Vegas when I got mine but the guy got this one in for me and he didn't even know that it was a peacock. No one had or could get anything smaller. Maculata's were all over the place too. 50 bucks and I took her home. I think I will get one or two from Tampa Bay Saltwater or another smaller mom and pop East coast source next time.

Yeah, what's really bad in this trade is the rampant misidentification. I recently ordered a G. Smithii, and drove two hours to the pet store to pick it up (I live in Germany and it's been tough to find pet stores to place this kind of order). When I get there, guess what was waiting for me? Nope, not a G. Smithii, but a 4.5 inch O. Scyllarus. I took it home anyway, and will be upgrading my aquarium to accommodate it, but it's freakin' annoying that even when you do try to get a species that is better from an "environmental perspective", you often end up just getting whatever the exporter feels like sending you.

The good news is that I already have a UV sterilizer and I'll just keep my tank lights off while I'm at work (don't have any corals). Even so, I'm a little frustrated. Hope my new guy starts impressing me soon. He's been pretty uninteresting since he went in my tank and I'm hoping it's just due to shock.

Very mature of you, Man to post this thread. I received a G. ternatensis as a surprise gift, and learned about their collection afterwards. Had I been given the choice, I would have definitely held out for a G. Smithii.

I'm sure Dr. Caldwell will be glad to see this thread as he will see that his research and preaching are doing some good and not being ignored.

I'm probably going to take you up on your advice and copy this thread verbatim on other sites if you don't mind...

Thanks so much!!!

I'm probably going to take you up on your advice and copy this thread verbatim on other sites if you don't mind...

Please do. It's a small thing to do, but it might make a difference. I tried to keep it as succinct as possible so people don't tl;dr (too long; didn't read) it.

Again, everyone is welcome to steal this for their own threads and educational purposes.

Yeah, what's really bad in this trade is the rampant misidentification. I recently ordered a G. Smithii, and drove two hours to the pet store to pick it up (I live in Germany and it's been tough to find pet stores to place this kind of order). When I get there, guess what was waiting for me? Nope, not a G. Smithii, but a 4.5 inch O. Scyllarus. I took it home anyway, and will be upgrading my aquarium to accommodate it, but it's freakin' annoying that even when you do try to get a species that is better from an "environmental perspective", you often end up just getting whatever the exporter feels like sending you.

The good news is that I already have a UV sterilizer and I'll just keep my tank lights off while I'm at work (don't have any corals). Even so, I'm a little frustrated. Hope my new guy starts impressing me soon. He's been pretty uninteresting since he went in my tank and I'm hoping it's just due to shock.

My supplier told me that it was an O. Japonicus and I was very excited because they are a more rare species to come across. When I got down there I knew he didn't know what he was talking about. Determine if your Scyllarus is a male or female. Males are more susceptible to shell rot. As long as you keep the water clean and don't have the lights on all the time you will be fine. You don't need to use a U.V. sterilizer all the time. Only if there are signs of disease. Otherwise you kill all of the beneficial organisms too.

Yes, he's a male unfortunately. I usually run the UV sterilizer only at night. During the day I turn it off. However, recently I've had some pretty bad green algae blooms if I keep it off any more than that. Don't know why that is. Lights stay off unless I'm watching him/doing tank maintenance.

Yes, he's a male unfortunately. I usually run the UV sterilizer only at night. During the day I turn it off. However, recently I've had some pretty bad green algae blooms if I keep it off any more than that. Don't know why that is. Lights stay off unless I'm watching him/doing tank maintenance.

That is unusual since with such little light the algae shouldn't grow so much if at all. I haven't had any kind of algal growth issues. I am using an Eheim 60 canister filter and I changed my substrate from crushed coral to fine aragonite but not the sugar fine mixed with small crushed coral chunks. Before I had just crushed coral and when I emptied the tank for the move it was filthy. I won't use just crushed coral again. Well good luck with the algae. For it to grow it needs light and high nutrient levels. Is it a new tank?

Back