Marc's DSA Neo 65g Custom by AquaLab Aquaria

kentmoney

Hey everyone,

I wanted to share an aquarium I recently set up for a good friend of mine. This is what I hope to be the first of many reefs I help set up through my venture AquaLab Aquaria. We are based out of Mountain View, CA and we strive to provide the best advanced aquarium services to both private and commercial customers. There are many perks to working with AquaLab Aquaria, so if you're interested please get in touch!

Now on to the good stuff...

This Neo 65 is Marc's first full-sized aquarium system. After getting introduced to the hobby with a BioCube 29, he was anxious to upgrade to accommodate his ever increasing collection of top-notch coral. The Neo 65 tank was purchased used for a deal he just couldn't pass up, and so working around this aquarium, we built-up this system. Marc didn't want to cut corners, but he wanted to get the most bang for his buck. We came up with the following system and we're very pleased with how it came out.

C1A8duV.jpg

Aquarium/Stand: DSA Neo 65g
Filtration: Eshopps Sump and Refugium, Eshopps Skimmer, Diablo DC Return Pump, 1" SCWD, Stealth Black Plumbing
Lighting: 2 x Kessil A350
Dosing: Eshopps doser, calcium and bicarbonate
Flow: VorTech MP40, MP10 (with battery back up)

One of the first complications we ran into was that the previous owner of the tank had PVC cemented all the bulkhead threads, gaskets, and mating surfaces creating quite a mess. Needless to say, the bulkheads leaked and needed to be replaced. The cement seized the bulkhead making their extraction quite tricky. AquaLab got it done.

5MztVbu.jpg

YyokpsE.jpg

Assembly under the hood. Here you can see the DC Diablo pump which feeds into a 1" check-valve, then through a T, through a 1" SCWD, then alternating between each return outlet. The T allows for the return pump to be used to drive reactors and auxiliary equipment as well. The slim reservoirs are for calcium and bicarbonate solutions. The doser will sit on a custom shelf above. We used a simplified Herbie overflow to achieve a silent, full-siphon effect.

QkMbvYq.jpg

Here are a few preliminary pictures of the system after 1 week of operation.

t8lAYL1.jpg

6SAaZFX.jpg

m7lgxPg.jpg

5JhrcQp.jpg

Your water is so clear! Very nice tank those kessils do the job, looks very sleek. Everything looks happy keep up the good work!

Words can't express the feelings but wow. I always wanted to do a 65 gallon tank but aggressive kind. Love the clock on the wall too lol

Really beautiful display! Great job !
Very nice set up.
Words can't express the feelings but wow. I always wanted to do a 65 gallon tank but aggressive kind. Love the clock on the wall too lol

Thanks guys! We're both happy with how it's going so far. Not a bout of algae or anything since the upgrade. Knock on wood!

WHat do you mean "aggressive kind" ?

Your water is so clear! Very nice tank those kessils do the job, looks very sleek. Everything looks happy keep up the good work!

Thanks! And there really isn't much carbon in use yet either. Kessils are really the gold standard when it comes to economy lighting.

Where can I buy that clock? Link?

Oh, nice tank too

I'm not sure where he got it. I'd just do a search for digital wall clock or something and I'm sure Google could turn it up ;)

Back