Marine Discovery Center - new beginnings

zachfishman

Hi all,

I want to formally announce to the club that Secrets of the Sea, formerly the St. Petersburg Pier Aquarium, is on track to open a new Marine Discovery Center at the Port of St. Petersburg around this time next year. I outlined our schedule at the June meeting, and look forward to bringing the club in for a pre-opening tour next year! The city is in the middle of construction on their portion of the building, and will turn occupancy over to us when complete (November-December). We can then permit and begin our construction.

We are also officially changing our name to the Marine Discovery Center of St. Petersburg. We have a new website (www.mdcstpete.org) which will update as we progress, and I look forward to sharing tank builds with everyone - particularly the reef systems!

I am currently planning a 400 gallon soft coral and LPS system, and a dual 300 gallon (two tanks plumbed together) SPS dominant display.

For anyone interested, we are hosting a food truck rally tonight at the port. I'll be there along with some other MDC staff if you want to see the building and chat us up.

Back