maybe a dumb question

jaylensdad06

if I was running a refugium. is there any benefit to running the brs dual gfo/carbón reactor? wouldnt the gfo remove what the cheato thrives on and removes? phosphates. is there a benefit to running an fuge and dual reactor? or should it be fuge n carbón reactor only?

I run a fuge and GFO, fuge pulls nitrates GFO pulls any phosphates... cheato grows fine.... I don't use quite the recommended GFO load just enough to keep my phosphates where I want them

I thought using cheato was to pull the phosphates to a spécific place that's not the DT. and nitrates were filtered out by the live rock beneficial bacteria and the skimmer. or is it all tied together?

In general you need so much macro algae to remove everything that it kind of becomes silly. Think of it as a "package solution"

maybe a dumb question

Mr. Saltwater tank had a great video explaining refugiums. How you should not put your expectations too high on them. A small section of you sump dedicated for a refugium isn't going to eat up all the nitrates and phosphates. But it will eat some, also it's a great place for your pods and microfauna to grow. I too have a refugium and gfo reactor. Basically you would need a large at least the size of your tank as a refugium to really out compete your tanks algae.

I think he described a small refugium as like putting a outboard motor on a cruise ship and wondering why you aren't going fast. Lol

I agree with the masses; refugium + reactor. Macroalgae is useful for nutrient export, as is a protein skimmer. The GFO reactor is far more efficient and compact, and will remove phosphates the fuge couldn't dream of tackling.

thanx for thé input....I actually made a remote refugium...something like 15 or so gallons. i know small fuges arent meant to pull everything out..I think im gonna go with the masses.

In general you need so much macro algae to remove everything that it kind of becomes silly. Think of it as a "package solution"

+1 on this. I think I read somewhere that you would need a tank with macro algae similar size to your DT. Instead, use it for what it is, a refugium... A safe haven for various living organisms to flourish that may be depleted quickly if in the DT.

Back