MH lighting change

Ludwigia73

Reef Reef Reef Reef Reef
Premium Member
I currently run 2 x XM 10000k 250w. They're running off 2 magnetic ballasts, with the plastic cased capacitors.
What benefits, if any, would I get by going to electronic ballasts? I know they run cooler, and I know they save a little bit in energy costs... what about performance? What difference will I notice in the lamps? They're practically brand new, about a month old. Will it be dimmer or brighter, or about the same? Finally, without breaking the bank, what would be a GOOD choice for electronic ballasts. Still considering whether I'll get 2 separate ballasts or a 2 in 1 unit. I'm thinking 2 separate will be more expensive, but if one fails I won't have to replace a whole unit.

Thanks for your help!

The electronic ballast will be less likely to cause a color shift in the bulb. They run much cooler and the light output is the same to your naked eye but with a meter it's a little less with a E-ballast. The bulb will last longer also and they are more efficient than magnetics. I also would go with two separate ballast for the sake of redundancy.

Back