Missing Pistol Shrimp

Rizup

Last saturday I picked up a red banded pistol shrimp to pair with my yellow watchman goby. The goby was in a 29g quarantine tank along with a Bangaii cardinal. I had a tupperware filled with sand and some LR rubble. As soon as I finished acclimating the pistol and put him in the tupperware, he went to work on a burrow under a small piece of LR. Days later the goby and shrimp had still not paired. I decided to get rid of the tupperware and put the sand directly on the bottom of the tank in hopes that this would speed things up. As I poured the sand out slowly I kept looking for the pistol shrimp - no sign of him! Do you think that the cardinal could or would have eaten the pistol? The pistol was quite small. I also had two pieces of LR in the tank, but I don't think he was hiding in them.
What do you think?

Mike

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14753040#post14753040 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by small alien
Why don't you think he was hiding in them? good luck.

Good point. I guess because when I put him in the tank he went right to a spot near a small piece of rock and started making a burrow and there was no sand near the big pieces of rock. I think you may be right and maybe I need to look closer at these other pieces of rock. So do you feel it is unlikely that the cardinal would have eaten the shrimp?

Mike

Well, now the other pistol I have is hiding in a rock in the quarantine tank! Any ideas on how to get him out? I know he is in there as I heard him snapping last night. I can remove the rock as it is the only one in the tank. Thanks for any input.

Mike

Back