Mixing Kessil Tuna Sun with Tuna Blue

RDuhb

I'm turning my 125g planted into a reef. I have four A160WE Tuna Suns and I'm thinking about mixing two of the Tuna Suns with two Tuna Blues. I can control the Blues and the Suns separately with my Apex. Has anyone done this before? Any thoughts?
Thanks!

It will work. I haven't used kessils but I have mixed 6500k T5's in with my reef lighting. I also used 5000k halides 30yrs ago. It's closer to daylight and all my corals liked it. In the wild, shallow reef corals are getting exactly that type of white light, it's only the deeper species that would get predominantly blue. The anecdotal evidence says whiter light causes more nuisance algae but I think you'll get algae with the right conditions regardless of your light spectrum. It's also generally excepted that most corals will grow faster under whiter light.

You may find it hard to blend without it looking 'stripey' but you won't know till you try. The tuna blues should get you the colour pop everyone is looking for these days anyway. I would do it.

Yep, my most successful reef tank in the early 2000’s used 3 250w Iwasaki 6500K MH and 2 400w Radium 20000K MH.

Last edited:
I would agree it’s definitely doable, how it will blend is the question. Might be able to fit a tuna blue between two tuna suns and have it blend pretty well

Thanks, everyone!!! It will save some money if I only have to buy two new lights. :)
In the four light setup I will probably first try putting the Suns on the ends. I will be able to control the Sun and Blues separately with my Apex. Hopefully this setup will blend nicely. I'll be sure to post an update. Thanks again!!!

Tuna sun is listed at 6000-9000k
So 9000k at " full color".
Tuna blue is listed as 10000k- "20000".

Back