Mixing salts

nothingfishy

Hey Guys-

I recently switched from reef crystals to red sea coral pro. I still have a box of reef crystals I have yet to use, so my question is, can I use this salt on my fowlr?

I have always used instant ocean on my fowlr, but rather than throw this box out, can I go ahead and use it, being there is no corals, just fish?

Hey Guys-

I recently switched from reef crystals to red sea coral pro. I still have a box of reef crystals I have yet to use, so my question is, can I use this salt on my fowlr?

I have always used instant ocean on my fowlr, but rather than throw this box out, can I go ahead and use it, being there is no corals, just fish?

you can use it even if it has corals :)

Ok, so next time I do a water change, I can use both reef crystals and instant ocean, bring it to my 1.023 salinity, and use it on the fish only?

I was afraid of some reaction occurring between the two.

And as far as using it with corals, I was going away from it on my reef tank, because the alk readings were inconsistent.

Ok, so next time I do a water change, I can use both reef crystals and instant ocean, bring it to my 1.023 salinity, and use it on the fish only?

I was afraid of some reaction occurring between the two.

And as far as using it with corals, I was going away from it on my reef tank, because the alk readings were inconsistent.

yes its fine for your fowlr

over the years finding a salt that is 100% consistent just doesnt exist to me , i find differences in batches all the time( work at a lfs) most are minor and some a lot more but they all have their days.

i take it your not dosing alk or cal then just water changes?

in either case unless the salt is wayyy off i wouldnt worry about it too much unless the tank is tiny and water changes are large , the impact this one bucket has on your tank will/should be minor.

a simple test between the new water and your display with some math will give you the answers.

cheers

denny

Back