Modding a Sunpod?

MikePowell

I bought a 20 inch 150w sunpod for my biocube 14. I have not recived it yet but I am pretty sure I can remove the end caps and cut the metal to shorten it to about 16". I want to do this b/c I don't want alot of overhang on the sides of the tank. Has anyone done this before? If so can you provide pics and some advice.

i have a 24'' sunpod over my 20'' nanocube and i have 2'' overhang on both sides. guess i will just have to upgrade tanks to make it fit better haha.

Yeah but I made a deal with the wife and she cut me off at a 14g tank =( I don't mind the extra 2inche hanging over but since the tank is small I'm being a bit picky about it.

Mike,

I haven’t cut a Sunpod like you are planning to do but I did mod my 16.5” from a 70w to 150w. I can tell you that when you take the fixture apart there are three separate pieces (see pic below).

DSC02524a.jpg

I did mod my 16.5” from a 70w to 150w.

how did you go about doing this and what did it end up costing you to do it. Ive been thinking apbout doing it but dont know where to start.

I have been working on putting together a DIY thread to post. Give me a few minutes to finish it and I'll post it.

Back