Mollusk of the Week: Stomatella snails

herefishiefishie

Premium Member
Every week I will be posting a new mollusk for discussion. Please post everything you know about this week's mollusk, to include pics, care and feeding habits, optimal environment, common names, and anything else you can think of.

This week we will cover the snails of the genus Stomatella. These snails are common and useful hitchhikers on live rock in reef aquaria. They come in a variety of sizes and colors. generally, they appear as a snail with a small, almost flat shell that does not completely cover the snail's comparatively large foot.

Many have reported that these snails reproduce readily in aquaria.

Please post any information you have on Stomatella snails.

I had one and got another one recently on some live rock. Guess I'll know soon if the name "sea bunny" is appropriate. :D

Great cleanup crew! I used to have a very large herd of Stomatella varia in my tank. Since adding some "pepermint" snails (Family Liotiidae, or genus Macarene) the Stomatella population has dropped a lot.

Likw most snails, they are not overly exciting to watch.

Fred.

LAST CALL

LAST CALL

Last call for information before this thread gets moved to the archive! If you have some info to share about Stomatella snails, this is the time to do it. :D

Back