Momentive RTV vs SCS1200

rhickman17

I'm planning on building an external overflow box, and have gotten some instruction from a few members on the forum. My problem now lies in my silicone selection!

I've seen a massive body of support for Momentive RTV silicone, and a fair amount of support for GE SCS1200 silicone. I'm in Toronto, and I can only seem to find SCS1200 readily and fairly priced. I can order Momentive but it's near $40 per tube and I have no way to check the date to ensure the shelf life is good.

My question to you all is; is the SCS1200 going to be adequate for my external overflow box? Or is getting the Momentive imperative? The box will be holding 4-5" of water at a time, overall dimensions stand at around 20" long, 10" tall, and 7" front to back. It will accommodate the Bean Animal drain system with a 1" siphon, 1.5" emergency and open channel. It will be mounted on the back of my aquarium, with gussets beneath it to support it and a small Eurobrace around it's top.

The problem with external boxes is that they basically act as a lever against the seam between the box and the tank. Are you planning any bracing? I'd be tempted to. How thick is the glass?

Back