Moorish Idol?

RondaGP

I forgot all the reasons not to have these.

My LFS keeps them in their displays and always has several available for sale. When I asked about them and mentioned I was surprised about their presence in the store, they said they have never had a problem keeping them alive.

I think I know, but if I bring it up again, I want to be equipped with all the accurate information I can gather so thanks.

next time they say we have been keeping them alive, ask for how long. For some reason most people think anything longer than a month is keeping something alive. Much like mandarin fish in the wrong type of system, they slowly starve so it can take some time to waste away.

Of course idols have been kept before successfully, just not by many..

Is it because they are difficult to keep alive the main reason to not have them?
I totally realize that is more than enough but I thought I had read something a while ago about how they were being over harvested for the hobby and becoming endangered but I could be wrong.

they have never had a problem keeping them alive. - ask how long. I doubt more than 1.5 years.

Is it because they are difficult to keep alive the main reason to not have them? - yes, we can't replicate their natural diet/nutrition for the most part.

I haven't heard anything about them being overharvested... Bangaii Cardinals are def. overharvested... haven't really heard about any other fish other than yellow tangs (maybe depending on who you talk to)

I'm amazed Liveaquaria carries them sometimes... of all the more "responsible" sellers, I was shocked when I saw them selling them.

Thanks for the info guys.
I'm always shocked when I see them so I want to address it as politely as I can, but again, with a lot of information.

I've seen sponge and coraline algae listed as their food. I question the coraline though.

I think an aquarium caught some and checked their stomachs and found like 90%+ sponge.

It would make sense if sponge was a main part of their diet. I'll look it up tonight because I know one of my books specifically had a segment about them. I just don't remember which one so I knew it would take a little bit of time to find it because I have so many.
So, again, I appreciate the info.

careful, books often recycle old/bad info and when it comes to living things, it's hard to be right. Lots of generalizations about fish based on their genus/class... but there are always exceptions in behavior and species.

:lol: Maybe it's the teacher in me or all those years studying at Cal but I generally over-research things (especially in this hobby). After looking something up in a book, I cross reference it to all my other books, read what I can find online, in the meantime I'll make a few posts at forums like this to mix in current experience and the expertise of you fine folks.
Yeah, I still haven't decided on a skimmer yet...

Anyway, I've only had time to look in one book but it agrees with what all of you said.
Nilsen and Fossa's Reef Secrets says that and that, "It's natural diet may include sponges, bryozoans, hydroids, polychaete worms, and algae" and "Most specimens are very reluctant to feed" and "The vast majority of imported specimens starve" and "are for experienced aquarists only".

Yeah, I still haven't decided on a skimmer yet...

haha, even those of us WITH a skimmer still haven't decided =) I'm still deciding what I'll be when I grow up to =)

When you follow them around while diving they constantly eat a black/ grey matting sponge. When you collect one it soils its water severely for hours they seem to have quite some metabolism, constantly eating and pooing (lol). Some do take to aquarium life but not many seem to make the long term transition to the new diet. Best left in the ocean.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13171551#post13171551 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by oceanarium
When you follow them around while diving they constantly eat a black/ grey matting sponge. When you collect one it soils its water severely for hours they seem to have quite some metabolism, constantly eating and pooing (lol). Some do take to aquarium life but not many seem to make the long term transition to the new diet. Best left in the ocean.
I agree.

that means they slowly die of malnutrition/starvation. Sadly 1-2yrs is not taking to aquaria when they likely live over ten.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13141028#post13141028 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by bchbum189
dont quote me on this but i believe a large part of their diet is sponge... Again dont quote me on that

As quoted above sponges are a large part of their diet. :D Some people that keep them harvest local sponges and freeze them to keep a steady supply on hand. The trick is finding a sponge they like. This fish should not routinely be kept due to their difficult feeding requirements. They are also very suseptible to ich.

There is a crusty old reefer in New York that keeps one. I think his name is Paul ;).

Jacob

There are few LFS that can keep them alive. I know from a LFS that keeps them but they sell for over $80. Why becasue they stay in the quarintine for 1 month before they can go to a reef tank. The guy really know how to threat them and feed them. But there are some requirement to buy them. You have to buy the food thay they eat. That make the fish $100+.

I think that a resposable LFS should do this and tell foward there technic.

If you can get one to eat prepared foods in the aquarium, they are still very shy eaters. A lot of the starvation comes from simple competition in the aquarium.

Best left in the ocean and viewed with a tank of oxygen on your back and a mask over your mug. :D

Thanks again to everyone for your knowledge and information. I'm going to do my best to "causally" have a conversation with them about it because other than having and selling several of those, they are a decent store.
-Ronda

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13300380#post13300380 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by emissary43
tell them not to sell linkia stars either :)
I don't believe I've ever noticed one at a LFS before, just at every online vendor.

Are they difficult to keep as well? I wasn't aware that they are a poor choice to own.

Back