More charged in Federal Rock Bottom Operation

Amazing how slow some things move through the court systems. They were busted for that "Hatian" LR several years ago.

That was just a raid, feds seized Bob s records, now he is being charged. Feds all the time they need to do an investigation I guess, according to court record's it way much more than rock

Somehow I'm not surprised at the "more than". Also found the mention of Wisconsin interesting...

Why so? DD?

Actually that's a brain fart on my part. I was thinking of someone that recently made the news for illicit collecting, but that was someone from Michigan. Not sure why I thought Wisconsin. Probably needed more coffee.

not sure, Who in Wisconsin I am trying to get court records, for Bob Kelton and D R bust. I know who in Michigan, was busted. I did find out Bob Kelton of D R Imports is doing business as Flying Fish Express using a front man named John.
How do we know who is a honest supplier.

not sure, Who in Wisconsin I am trying to get court records, for Bob Kelton and D R bust. I know who in Michigan, was busted. I did find out Bob Kelton of D R Imports is doing business as Flying Fish Express using a front man named John.
How do we know who is a honest supplier.

FFE died years ago... are you asserting DFS is doing business with Big Bob via this John character?

Its sad and pathetic what some will do for a profit at the expense of others (in this case the hobby) and the environment.

I think it is interesting that the Fed's were able to tag with tracking devices the live rock. I thought I heard a pinging coming from my tank...

I'v done some research into this rock bottom so far it seems they have busted 15 or so people some major wholesale people in Miami, people in California, new york, florida, how do we find out who is a honest business to order from?

How do we find out who is a honest business to order from?

Common sense really. Don't order from individuals, especially off E-Bay, "Wholesale" websites, or heck, even here on RC. Also, be aware of anyone claiming to sell Hawaiian, Floridian, or Texan "live" rock. Even 'seeded' dead rock is suspect since those vendors tend to try and hide their seed rock in sanctuaries, even if it didn't originally come from there. Once pulled, the hitchikers that grow on the rock will be protected in all of those cases.

In general, if it has the potential of coming from a reef in US waters, you should shy away from it.

I agree with you. You make good points. I'm going to research this bob kelton, I do like to give everyone the benefit of dought, in case they're charged wrongly.
Thanks to all for there comments
Warren

I'v done some research into this rock bottom so far it seems they have busted 15 or so people some major wholesale people in Miami, people in California, new york, florida, how do we find out who is a honest business to order from?

A lot comes down to getting to know who your doing business with. Lot's of people you need to watch close, but also lots of decent ones. Though even some people with good reputations got nailed in that operation....Perrin really surprised people when he was charged.

Common sense really. Don't order from individuals, especially off E-Bay, "Wholesale" websites, or heck, even here on RC. Also, be aware of anyone claiming to sell Hawaiian, Floridian, or Texan "live" rock. Even 'seeded' dead rock is suspect since those vendors tend to try and hide their seed rock in sanctuaries, even if it didn't originally come from there. Once pulled, the hitchikers that grow on the rock will be protected in all of those cases.

In general, if it has the potential of coming from a reef in US waters, you should shy away from it.

There are legitimate aquacultured Florida live rock operations in Florida. Some even have above board bottom leases and permits for placing rock in the Keys. Richard from Tampa Bay Saltwater and Ken Niedemyer of Coral Reef Restoration Foundation come to mind as two legit and honest sources.

Perrin really surprised people when he was charged.

You can say that again. His reputation was greenhouse aquaculture in Michigan, and very, very early in the hobby for that sort of setup. I was really disappointed when I originally saw he got nailed.

I agree with you. You make good points. I'm going to research this bob kelton, I do like to give everyone the benefit of dought, in case they're charged wrongly.
Thanks to all for there comments
Warren

No need to look into him further... he's rightfully charged. What you need to know, you won't find online. You'll need to talk to people in the know. This stuff isn't broadcast.

Back