More great news!!!

"Researchers believe lionfish were introduced into the Atlantic in 1992, when Hurricane Andrew shattered a private aquarium and six of them spilled into Miami's Biscayne Bay"

Here it goes again, blaming hobbiest on any situation they can

Yea it sucks big time. From the industry side of things Lion fish #2 arrived from Haiti. Note they are being collected from Haiti to Long Island, NY :(

"Researchers believe lionfish were introduced into the Atlantic in 1992, when Hurricane Andrew shattered a private aquarium and six of them spilled into Miami's Biscayne Bay"

Here it goes again, blaming hobbiest on any situation they can
Unfortunately the hobby is to blame either indirectly, the fish that were released during Andrew, or directly from dumping non-natives into the water. The only other method of introduction considered by scientists, that I'm aware of, is introduction of egg sacks/larvae by ships dumping ballast water and that has always been a remote possibility.

Reports of lionfish in the Atlantic started to filter out of Florida in the early 90s. Several aquarium lionfish are known to have escaped into Biscayne Bay, Florida during Hurricane Andrew in 1992. At least anecdotally, aquarists have also intentionally released these non-native fish into Florida waters. But even taking into account these releases, nobody was prepared to find a healthy population of reproducing lionfish living in the Atlantic at the outset of the twenty-first century.
Full article. The only surprising thing is how they've thrived and reproduced in their non-native habitat.

"Northern Caribbean islands have sounded the alarm, encouraging fishermen to capture lionfish and divers to report them for eradication."
Yes we must kill them all... kill kill kill ...

I guess it would be an outlandish idea to maybe use them for the pet industry or some form of research at least... and don't tell me we can't wipe them out, we are experts at that. What a bummer that the powers that be can't figure out something positive to do about this...

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13156478#post13156478 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Tazbader
"Northern Caribbean islands have sounded the alarm, encouraging fishermen to capture lionfish and divers to report them for eradication."
Yes we must kill them all... kill kill kill ...

I guess it would be an outlandish idea to maybe use them for the pet industry
Taz read my first link...they are being collected for the pet industry. Not in the numbers they could be...yet.
and don't tell me we can't wipe them out, we are experts at that.
I imagine the Filipinos could help us out with that.

Back