Mosquito larvae

epo

Hey all. Kinda odd question here, but has anyone noticed mosquito larvae in the ato reservoir? I have a 10 gal reservoir I keep under my stand which is closed off with cabinets. A couple times I have gone to top off the fresh water and noticed little larvae swimming around. I even tried putting a mesh screen over the top and they still find their way in. Anyone else notice this? Is it bad or will the pump eventually get them?

That's very odd. Wonder why only in your ato and nott your sump too. I've never heard of this before LOL

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

I had Mosquitoes in the house when I was culturing blackworms + larvae with the blackworms (cultured in freshwater). You've got a few months of hell until the mosquitoes can die off.

The only way to deal with them is let them live out their cycle (its only a month or two) and close up the house and turn on the air conditioner.

Don't leave any fruit out or flowering plants - Females / Males require fruit (nectar) for their normal day to day. http://www.mosquitoreviews.com/mosquitoes-eat.html Once the females are ready to reproduce - that's when they turn into blood suckers.

If you got the larvae - you probably have two more lifecycles to go before they are gone.

another weird thing with the mosquitoes - I never had them in my freshwater reservoirs (90 gallons - around 4.5 foot high) - only in the blackworm culture (well fed well aerated). I know they could have gotten in there and laid eggs / produced larvae as it's vented - but I never saw them in there.

As for your original question - it's not bad for your tank but will annoy the heck out of you having mosquitoes buzzing around the house especially at night. You'll never get rid of them by just waiting them out and hoping they get pumped into the tank. You'll need to starve out the life cycles you have going now (eggs + larvae + pupae + adults) and not let any new ones in.

Last edited:
I had Mosquitoes in the house when I was culturing blackworms + larvae with the blackworms (cultured in freshwater). You've got a few months of hell until the mosquitoes can die off.

The only way to deal with them is let them live out their cycle (its only a month or two) and close up the house and turn on the air conditioner.

Don't leave any fruit out or flowering plants - Females / Males require fruit (nectar) for their normal day to day. http://www.mosquitoreviews.com/mosquitoes-eat.html Once the females are ready to reproduce - that's when they turn into blood suckers.

If you got the larvae - you probably have two more lifecycles to go before they are gone.

another weird thing with the mosquitoes - I never had them in my freshwater reservoirs (90 gallons - around 4.5 foot high) - only in the blackworm culture (well fed well aerated). I know they could have gotten in there and laid eggs / produced larvae as it's vented - but I never saw them in there.

As for your original question - it's not bad for your tank but will annoy the heck out of you having mosquitoes buzzing around the house especially at night. You'll never get rid of them by just waiting them out and hoping they get pumped into the tank. You'll need to starve out the life cycles you have going now (eggs + larvae + pupae + adults) and not let any new ones in.

Crap. OK. looks like ill have to be more diligent with closing the door to keep any new ones from entering the house
. Thanks for the input.

Mosquitoes, the bane of us fisherman. There's a fishing spot here on Long Island's South Shore that I go to that takes a 20 min. hike through some of the worst Mosquito infested areas. The path is known as the death walk. Some sort of super Mosquito, I've seen them bite me through my clothing and have them follow me back to my car and continue to feast on the drive home....nasty suckers!

I wonder if you added a little Kalk to the top off water if that would wipe them out... I noticed that I have some larvae myself that weren't there before I got my kalk reactor (I used to mix it in the top of container)

Why not just remove and sterilize the ATO reservoir to kill the larvae then make sure you have a snug fitting cover?

yea that's what i am going to do, pull the tank out, clean it up, and make a better lid. hopefully just keep them out completely.

Back