Friendly PSA to check your optical sensors

reefing102

Dulce et decorum est pro patria mori
Premium Member
Don’t forget to clean the ATO optical sensor. Apparently I’ve been slacking in this department. It got algae covered on my wife’s 32 gallon BioCube. Thankfully the ATO only dumped about 4 gallons of water before it ran dry but still tanked the salinity to 1.019 and have a nice soggy floor to deal with.

Honestly wouldn’t have noticed if the green star polyps hadn’t closed up. Which led me to look closer and I didn’t see any LED shimmer which wasn’t normal. So I looked at the surface and there was hardly movement and my screen top was partially submerged. And then my feet found the wet floor. I need to check the fail safe sensor too as that didn’t go off so I may need to reinstall it.

All in all, it’s a wonderful day to clean optical sensors. You may want to check yours too. That is all.

But I thought optical sensors were flawless...j/k

Sorry to hear about the minor flood but luckily it was minor. It's amazing though how much water spreads even just a little seems like a ton once on the ground.

I've always been paranoid about my ATO. I have 3 float switches, two pressure switches, and a float valve protecting mine. And I don't let it run for more then a few seconds every 10 minutes.

But I thought optical sensors were flawless...j/k

Sorry to hear about the minor flood but luckily it was minor. It's amazing though how much water spreads even just a little seems like a ton once on the ground.

I've always been paranoid about my ATO. I have 3 float switches, two pressure switches, and a float valve protecting mine. And I don't let it run for more then a few seconds every 10 minutes.
I thought mine had an auto off after 1 minute of running but either that doesn’t work or I don’t recall properly

Back