Moved tank and now have parameter issues

+1 Montipora digitata. Purple stylo is one of the hardiest stoney corals I've come across including soft corals and polyps. The birdsnest are pretty hardy also.

This doesn't seem to get much attention but keep in mind many corals may need very specific tankmates. The confusion over keeping Goniopora is one example with ~22 species and no way to distinguish between species but only a couple with wide distribution indicating adaptability and most only found in specific ecological niches. Now with cultured specimens aquarists are seeing much better overall success. This article on Acropora microladoas, strawberry shortcake, is another good example with only a small percentage of colonies found in the company of other species besides acros

+1 Montipora digitata. Purple stylo is one of the hardiest stoney corals I've come across including soft corals and polyps. The birdsnest are pretty hardy also.

This doesn't seem to get much attention but keep in mind many corals may need very specific tankmates. The confusion over keeping Goniopora is one example with ~22 species and no way to distinguish between species but only a couple with wide distribution indicating adaptability and most only found in specific ecological niches. Now with cultured specimens aquarists are seeing much better overall success. This article on Acropora microladoas, strawberry shortcake, is another good example with only a small percentage of colonies found in the company of other species besides acros
Thank you!

Thank you to everyone that has given me advice and information on this forum. I have managed to keep all my parameters in check except for my nitrates. I don't feel like I overfeed and I have done and tried all the things to keep them down. I can get them down consistently to 20 ppm by doing weekly water changes....but by the end of the week it will creep up to 30 to 40. I really want to try a refugium to help but haven't had much luck with that in the past. I have a Red Sea 350, 90 Gallon tank which has a built in fuge in the sump. I want to try once again using just the flow coming from my tank return and before it goes to my skimmer. If anyone has done this and can advise on what they would use for the Macro set up I would appreciate the advice. for those on here that recommended sponges....I cannot find a local store that has live rock. I did find one guy that told me he can get me some buy he told me that the sponges die fast and he couldn't guarantee they would be alive when he sells it to me....not to mention it like 15 dollars a lb.

I’ve never been able to keep chaeto alive myself. Always just used Caulerpa species in my fuge.

I'm not surprised the LFS told you sponges die. While it's true the ornamental sponges sold like orange and red ball or finger sponges or the pinkish "ridge" sponges have very poor survival rates cryptic sponges that come in on maricultured live rock do well and typcially grow and spread. As you system is established it's highly likely there are already cryptic sponges in your system. While I don't see a specific need fo r you to add any maricultured live rock it certainly could help with diversity. You might check with KP Aquatics, Tampa Bay Saltwater or Gulf Live Rock to see about what they will ship you.

I'm not surprised the LFS told you sponges die. While it's true the ornamental sponges sold like orange and red ball or finger sponges or the pinkish "ridge" sponges have very poor survival rates cryptic sponges that come in on maricultured live rock do well and typcially grow and spread. As you system is established it's highly likely there are already cryptic sponges in your system. While I don't see a specific need fo r you to add any maricultured live rock it certainly could help with diversity. You might check with KP Aquatics, Tampa Bay Saltwater or Gulf Live Rock to see about what they will ship you.
The guy from reeffarmers did finally get back to me and can send me some. I mentioned I was going to put in a refugium with Macro Algae and he said that due to the low light need that I would want to make sure I have plenty of algae blocking the light. How do you have yours situated?

I don't use lighted refugiums. A refugium with rubble or rock to give sponges the dark areas should work fine. In my aquaria I find cryptic sponges in a lot of areas in the aquascaping that provide the sahde they want.

Back