Moving mushrooms from a colony

karburn

I'm familiar with the conventional "slice & dice" wisdom of propagating mushroom polyps. What I need are a couple of hints to move two polyps of one species from an established colony of another species. Several months ago I bought a chunk of LR with some nice blue mushrooms that have grown into a decent small colony. Last week I noticed two small green-stripe polyps nosing out from behind the blues; fighting for space! I want to move these two intact to another rock. Would it be best to slice them off the rock cleanly with a razor blade, or try to dislodge them with a small hemostat? The object is to end up with two separate species, so that I can segragate the rocks and colonize each species for eventual sale. The green stripe mini-polyps are no more than 1/2" across, so I know that I'll have to be extra careful. Any hints are appreciated.

Never mind - I did a search in the forum

Never mind - I did a search in the forum

Sorry for the elemental question. I should have searched the forums first, since the results I got pretty much corroborated what I ended up doing: grabing the polyp with a small hemostat and slicing it off at the base with a razor blade. One down, one to go, and two separate colonies if I'm lucky! Thanks as always for your time. No reply necessary.

Now, about my Toadstool...................;)

Karburn :)

Allow me to tease you with the suggestion that you seek info on or try my favorite "doughnt technique" with your toadstool Sarcophyton leather coral. ;)

Keyword search here on RC, or in my BOCP1.

Best regards,

Anthony

As you can tell from the post, I get too impatient. I've only read to page 100 or so in the BOCP1, but I'm going to keep going until I read it all. I'll find the answer soon enough!!:D

Ha! No worries, my friend. Always feel welcome to ask questions but indeed do be sure to set to the task of self-discovery above all and when possible. The very best journey most often :)

Kind regards,

Anthony

Back