Palythoa grandis fragging

reefcrew

Hello,

I do have small colony of Palythoa grandys. I want to put some palys to another place in aquarium.
I'd just like to know if it's possible just cut off 1 polyp of the colony... Is 1 polyp enough?
Will it survive? Did you try it that way already or I have to split the colony in a half?

And another question: I do already split in half my RBTA with no problem. As a palys are anemones to
is it possible just split polyp in half to double number o polyps? Will splited polyps survive and grow into full size?

Thanks for your answer or opinions.

Hello,

I do have small colony of Palythoa grandys. I want to put some palys to another place in aquarium.
I'd just like to know if it's possible just cut off 1 polyp of the colony... Is 1 polyp enough?
Will it survive? Did you try it that way already or I have to split the colony in a half?

And another question: I do already split in half my RBTA with no problem. As a palys are anemones to
is it possible just split polyp in half to double number o polyps? Will splited polyps survive and grow into full size?

Thanks for your answer or opinions.
I’ve never fragged palys but you should be able to cut one polyp with no issue. Just be sure to use PPE as there’s a chance of palytoxin.

I’ve never fragged palys but you should be able to cut one polyp with no issue. Just be sure to use PPE as there’s a chance of palytoxin.
I have fragged grandis before and had no idea at time it had one of the stronger palytoxins.

Just dress up like you are afraid COVID is gonna get ya and you will be fine. It’s a perfect use for those old masks, gloves and face shields.

Last edited:
I have fragged grandis before and had no idea at time it had one of the stronger palytoxins.

Just dress up like you are afraid COVID is gonna get ya and you will be fine. It’s a preface use for those old masks, gloves and face shields.
Agreed. Before we learned about palytoxins, I always wondered how many of us suffered mild symptoms and didn't realize it:oops: :eek:

Agreed. Before we learned about palytoxins, I always wondered how many of us suffered mild symptoms and didn't realize it:oops: :eek:
It’s actually no joke. I’ve meet 2 people outside of “the reefing scene” who have suffered severe eye damage from palytoxins.

IIRC, both of whom required cornea transplants. One was squirted in the eye and his recovery took years, the other just got some on his eyebrow and it got in his eye when he wiped it away.

Thanks for the replies guys. I am aware of the risk of palytoxin poisoning.
Anyhow, do you have an experience with cutting paly polyps and splitting the colonies?

Thanks for the replies guys. I am aware of the risk of palytoxin poisoning.
Anyhow, do you have an experience with cutting paly polyps and splitting the colonies?
I have some cinnamon grandis and I have observed some heads actually do split themselves in half to self propogate. I could not tell you if that means you can initiate it with a razor blade. As for splitting them up, I've always taken a piece of rock with them and I find they really slime up during handling.

I've always just place a piece of rock rubble next to them and allowed them to grow over the rubble and simply cut away the rubble with a the new paly attached.

Back