Mr Underground.

MrUnderground

Another noob ?

What is the best way to get rid of Green Hair algae off of LR? Any other recommendations besides trying to pluck it off rock? Any Chemical alterations I can do to my water? Additives? Daylight duration? ETC...

Have you tested your water. you can only get rid of algea by knowing what is causing it phospate for example or some other type of nutrient will cause it. Also are you using RO water if not than this could be a cause there several things to get rid of it but it will only go away once it runs out of a food source Phos, overfeeding or what ever is causing it so i would try this first also a good cleaning crew helps and some fish are really good at removing it as well (foxface) for example. Good luck

well some people have good luck with them and some dont it's just luck of the draw. A yellow tank or a foxface will eat it i have a lawnmower blenny and he doesent touch it but my yellow tang and foxface will go crazy on it. i purchased some live rock recently that was covered with it and they cleaned it in one day. but it all depends on the size tank you have as well. hope this helps

My foxface does a great job,but i have started using RO water and its all gone.Now i have a problem with brown algae on the sand.

Blue Hippo are a very difficult fish IMO to keep. They need lots of room and their behavior is some what eratic. They are algae eaters but are very prone to stress and IMO get ich easly. I would only recommend this fish if you have a large well established tank 150+ but that is just my suggestion i am sure other people on here my disagree with me.

Good luck

OK. The only reason I would ask... Don't get me wrong. Foxface are nice fish, but I don't like the lack of color that some of the other options carry. I would actually like to hear your opinion and others who want to chime in; what are some more colorful options in terms of Algae Eaters, (tangs if possible) that would work well in my tank if there are any.

Any suggestions are welcome.
If there will be any compatibility issues please state so.

Fish I have or are interrested in:
Haves:
1x 3 Stripe Damsel
1x Yellow-Tailed Blue Damsel
1x Domino Damsel
The damsels are actually surprisingly Calm, and non-Territorial.
Wants:
(some kind of)Tang (if possible)
2x Fairy Wrasses
1x 6-Line Wrasse
1x Pair True Black Percs.

Thanks... Dave (Baldy)

P.S. Bump Please :) Thanky

Dave,

How about giving me the specs on your tank is it fish only, reef also how many gallons ect the more info you give the more people can help you.

Reef Tank... Specs in "Current Tanks" as follows:

My Setup:
65 Gal All-Glass Drilled w/Megaflow Internal Overflow Display-Tank
150 Series Acrylic Berlin Sump
ASM G3 Skimmer
Mag 9.5 Return Pump
Blueline 30HD-X Closed-loop @ 1,100 GPH
6x39watt T5-HO Lighting @ Various Spectrum:
2x6,500K , 2x10,000K , 2x 20,000K

Currently = 75Lbs L.R. and 40 Lbs Live "Arag-Alive" Aragonite Sand
Salinity = 1.023
PH = 8.3
Nitrates = 0.0
Nitrites = 0.0
Phos. = 0.0

Dave,

Sounds like you have a nice setup, and you are headed in the right direction if you dont already have a cleaning crew than get some. as for a fish to control algae their are some beautiful tangs of all diffrent colors available exp. naso, chevron, kole, achilles and all of them are good algae eaters. but your tank being 65 gal you are limited on some of them. also i use a UV steralizer but you will hear conflicting views on this issue but it is an option. keeping your nutrients down and having the right cleaning crew and fish will controll this as well. it sounds to me you are on the right track. also i dont remember if you said you were using RO water, if not than you probably should be. tap water has some hard metals you probably dont want in your tank.

Good luck

I am using RO/DI Water, and I have a nice Cleaning Crew including Turbo/Astrea Snails, Zebra Crabs, Scarlet Legs, Blue Legs... I want to get a Blue Sea Star too. Maybe a nudibranch.

Back