MR16 Tumble Issue

Tonynlo

I am running the MR16 reactor and am having terrible flow issues. I only get water movement on one side of the reactor, no matter how much I have the water pressure turned up. This happens with a full reactor as well as a lightly stocked reactor. Flow and flow control are not the issue. I have tried using a separate pump to get the flow correct and still only get movement on the right side. There doesn't appear to be a clog on the left side. I've opened and closed the valve to try to kick everything up into the chamber, but only a single side with move. No video, but you can clearly see in the picture that only one side is moving.

Avast.jpg

Try removing the media plate altogether, and cutting the downtube square about an inch from the bottom. It works really well for biopellets. If you keep the output tube submerged, you won't have to worry about pellets backsiphoning through the downtube when the pump is off. We are developing a fitting which will prevent this anyway, should be available in a few weeks. See this video for example of pellet flow:
http://youtu.be/azODPwmghqI

Why waste money on a fitting? Just sell it with a 1/2" shorter pipe and have the user flip it upside down for bio pellet use? I just did that to mine, and it tumbles much better.

I did the mod but the water siphoning back with pelleets into the pump when switched off. How can the problem be sotrted out?

Make sure to keep the output tube end below the water level. This will prevent air from entering the reactor & tubing loop and allow the pellets to stay in place. Also we are making a special fitting to prevent backsiphoning pellets, I'll post more when it's ready. I have a prototype running right now but it needs a few tweaks first.

Make sure to keep the output tube end below the water level. This will prevent air from entering the reactor & tubing loop and allow the pellets to stay in place. Also we are making a special fitting to prevent backsiphoning pellets, I'll post more when it's ready. I have a prototype running right now but it needs a few tweaks first.

Has this modification been incorporated in the MR16 kits?

I believe Dan has the first few "final" parts done. We tweaked it a bit to get better center tumbling action. They might be ready in a little over a week if all goes perfectly. There might be one last tweak to do though.

not sure if this has been finished yet but want to order one. Any word if its been addressed? Love avast. Just sold another brand reactor to buy this one. My sump will be all avast soon

I just saw this post and was wondering the same thing until I tried this mod!

Works great, lots of tumbling now.... !

Thanks

I have used them on an MR5 and something way bigger than an MR16. The nozzle makes a huge improvement in tumble. No more channeling.

Back