Must Have Fish for SPS Tanks

Hentz

Afternoon reefers!

So I've got my 120 Gallon up and running, biggest tank I've ever had. I've always kept smaller tanks between 10-60 gallons. But I've never had a tank that would open me up to a whole new world of fish.

I've never really been into fish only because of my limitations to 4-5 small fish at any given time. After realizing I can stock this tank up nicely, I'm getting my first "itch" for fish.

I love fish that have jobs like: eating algae, picking flatworms, etc..

That being said, what do you guys recommend for an SPS tank? What are some of your must have's whether they be extremely common or very rare?

And about how many fish am I limited to with a 120 4'x2'x2'?
EDIT**: I'm sure my filtration might help as well with that answer..
Simplicity 240 DC Protein Skimmer rated up to 240 Gallons with a light bioload or 120 with a heavy bioload.
Chaeto Reactor
Weekly 10% water changes with sand vacuuming every time.

So far my stock list is:
2x Black Onyx Clownfish
1x Yellow Watchman Goby (Went female recently so no longer yellow and pretty :()
1x Yellow Tang
1x Melanurus Wrasse

I like pipefish and mandarins for colour and slow movement.

I also like anthias, clown gobies and chromis for their hiding. I've had good luck with sixlines and bristleworms.

Not for sps, but I do like green wrasses for possible pyramid snail control with clams.

Ultimately I think you need to decide what kind of ultimate look you are going for with fish; lively? Flashy? Slow and calming? Bright colours? Social?

Sent from the belly of a whale on the back of a T-Rex.

I like a small group of either chromis or anthias. They tend to swim thru the branches of the acros and hang in them also, very cool IMO. Maybe cardinals would work too.

Afternoon reefers!
And about how many fish am I limited to with a 120 4'x2'x2'?
EDIT**: I'm sure my filtration might help as well with that answer..

i keep right around 10 small/medium sized fish in my standard 120 but there is definitely room for more in terms of swimming space.
however... like mine, you mentioned it is an sps systems which to me means you need to pay closer attention to your nutrient load more than anything else. too many fish just means you are going to have to rely on nutrient export more rigorously.

I love wrasses & wouldn't have a tank without atleast one. Between my two systems I have 6 leopards & a melanarus. I also love tangs but u would be limited to one of the smaller ones like a kole, yellow or something similar. It won't help u because they eat things so not really reef safe, but one of my favorites is a porcupine puffer. I also like mandarins but have always been reluctant to try them. I have one now that I have had for about a year & he seems to be doing fine.

Last edited:
Watanbei Angelfish - totally reef safe and shine under reef quality lighting. Leopard wrasses.

I have Yellowstriped Cardinalfish (Ostorhinchus cyanosoma) because they hang out under your acros down near the sand. I also have Vanderbuilt Chromis (Chromis vanderbuilti) because they hang out all day in and around the acro branches for cover and are only about 1.5" long so you can keep lots :thumbsup:

Neither species ever fight or pick at each other and the cardinals continually mouth brood batches of eggs. Highly recommend either or both for cool schooling fish.

Back