My Black Volitan Lionfish...

RappaKNOTZ

I have a 110 gallon tank with live rock and fish only, but I currently have a 4 or 5 inch blk vplitan, a 6 inch green wolf eel and a 3 inch fiji tomato clown and a HUGE Red reef hermit that wont stop growing haha, but im thinking that soon I wanna either add some dwarf species of lionfish or maybe a scorpine or frog fish or like a porcupine puffer, obviously I may end of getting rid of my eel and clown before hand and prolly the hermit cause he is just too big lol but what are some of your thoughts on my ideas before I choose anything, do I need a bigger tank? Or any of you have any success or fails with these combinations?

The clownfish will become lion food one day. The blenny ("eel") may or may not become food depending on how fast it grows in relation to the volitans. IME, Dardanus sp. hermits can be pretty destructive and may attack sleeping fish.

Anglers should really be kept in species setups as they easily can swallow prey that is close to twice their size or it could become lion food.

Generally speaking, puffers and lions don't mix, as puffers will typically see the lion's finnage as something to snack on. You could try the puffer, but it will outgrow the tank and may or may not bother the lionfish, so if you try it, have a Plan B.

A 110 isn't a super large setup, so there's really not a lot of room left. You could keep one of the larger scorpionfish species such as Rhinopias, Inimicus, or Scorpaena (S. brasiliensis, S. diabolus , etc.) with a volitans, again, maintaining the proper size differenential. Remember, with proper care and a good, varied diet, P. volitans will grow to 12"+ within a short time (12-18 mos).

HTH

so even if i get a frogfish that only gets around 5-6 inches would still be ate by the volitan? (maybe cause they are slow fish) cause i am aware that a 8-11 inch frog can eat almost anything haha

so even if i get a frogfish that only gets around 5-6 inches would still be ate by the volitan? (maybe cause they are slow fish) cause i am aware that a 8-11 inch frog can eat almost anything haha

Do the math:

12" (or larger) volitans + 6" angler = lionfood

I'm not sure you actually "get" how large a full-grown volitans is...not only are they large, but they're voracious eaters and have fairly large mouths. FWIW, I know someone who thought his 6 1/2" female maroon clown was safe, but he found out otherwise.

Our own volitans is every bit of 13" long (it was 1.5" when we got her) and could make a meal out of pretty much any fish < 8" - 9" that it considers tasty.

If your lion isn't weaned off of live prey, it will be even more likely to eat its tankmates (you didn't say what it's eating ATM).

I heard they are like a football pluss the fins haha well nvm on that idea I guess haha well I was reading that they arent usally agressive twards the dwarf lions do you know if they will become food? and yess I work at petco and wing all our lions and other big aggressive fish onto krill or silversides soi dnt use live foods

Silversides are a much better food than krill, which have been linked to lockjaw in many predatory species (esp. lions). Kudos for weaning the fish.

I can tell you that our adult volitans could/would eat any of our dwarf lions without reservation.

Haha well guess I need a new tank for more fish that I want lol, and I use both krill and silversides so the diet is different, but thanks!

FWIW, I know someone who thought his 6 1/2" female maroon clown was safe, but he found out otherwise).

That someone would be me I thought I was OK, that maroon was the biggest maroon I'd ever seen (girth as well as length), I emphasize "was". Well fed Volitans grow incredibly fast and I was going to move the clown...but you know how that goes. Now, the only fish with my Volitans is a huge Australian Tusk, an ideal tankmate, IMO. These lions seem to get bigger every day.

Yea I hear ya I love tusk fish, but I think imma upgrade to a 125 or bigger before next winter before I add anymore bigger fish, I want a marine betta(comet) but now I see he will be lion food of I dnt get another tank

I dunno...depending on the size of the fish, a comet might work with a volitans. It's all about size differential.

I have a large v/lion with a wolf eel and m/ grouper. The rock is arranged so that the lion can't get right down to their cave openings. The lion and eel (pseudo )have been together about a year and the grouper about 6 months. The lion bosses the tank and is always ready to eat.

yea imma get the comet in the next week or so, but hope that one day it wont be food haha cause my lion is still kinda small right now

Back