My DIY LR Project (A Must Read) Progressive + Long Read

its actually a massage therapy poster, that room used to be a massage room, but its now just a second living room w/o a TV where my family likes to sit/read/talk etc

Thanks for the mention DL. :) The pasta method wasn't my original idea and I wish I could remember where I first heard about it, in order to give credit where it's really due. Who knows, the idea is probably decades old or more.

I like the bubble wrap textures, I never thought about that one, but I'll definitely be using it in the future. Also the Dixie cup thing is nice. Working in a medical area as I do, I've used the 1oz. plastic med cups to make my plugs and holes.

The dyed rocks look really cool! :thumbsup: It would be hard to tell them apart from coraline covered LR when put side-by-side in the tank.

All-in-all, excellent work... ... can't wait to see it in the tank after you get it cured.

The Pasta idea came from the old "coral farming school" from GARF. I dont think they reccomend it anymore. Dont see why soaking in water for 3 months would get it out of the middle of cement.
I love the texture of the bubble wrap. I also like the smooth rocks. They would look great in an African Rift Lake tank.

Aquayne:rollface:

Icedawg,

Do you realize that limestone is what they use to gravel roads. It is heavy and Very hard to carve. It is nonpourous also.
Hand cast is much better.:p

DLChaney said:
In our ongoing effort to continually improve Reef Central, the RC Staff would like to encourage everyone not to reply to threads with ââ"šÂ¬Ã…"œJust Tagging Alongââ"šÂ¬Ã‚ or other noncontributory comments. These kinds of replies are discourteous to the others who are subscribed to that thread as this causes them to reopen threads that have no useful additional information. It also makes it difficult for the moderators and Team RC members to find threads with no replies thus not serving the thread originator. If you want to follow a thread of interest, please use the ââ"šÂ¬Ã…"œsubscribe to this threadââ"šÂ¬Ã‚ link below the quick reply box. The effect will be the same. You can easily track the thread of interest in the subscribed threads section of your ââ"šÂ¬Ã…"œMy RCââ"šÂ¬Ã‚ page.

We would like to thank you in advance for your cooperation in this matter.

Regards,

The RC Staff

DLChaney said:
lime will leach into your tank and you will have a mass grave yard.

Actually limestone, crushed coral, aragonite, crushed oyster shell, etc. are all very nearly the same chemically.

Limestone rocks are one of the most common decorations used for African rift lake cichlids.

If you make it up to the hill country you can get 'em from the source.

See ebay listings for "Texas Holey Rock" wow the prices have gotten out of hand and they are selling them like individual works of art rather than rock. We used to simply sell it by the pound back in the day.

:eek:

thanks, on both the rock and the GF, sorry about bumping the thread. and i still think having straight limestone in the water is just tooooo risky for something you put so much effort into

Limestone is actually very safe in saltwater aquariums as well as most freshwater aquarium with very few exceptions. This is based on years of experience. Trust me there isn't much risk. The risk in not curing that concrete enough is far greater as it can dramatically increase the ph of the tank.

Your creations look very nice by the way. The bubble wrap idea is a good one.

Great looking rock. I am going to try and get some local club members together to try it here in Nashville. There is a very good thread on how to cure this stuff, and vinegar was used to help speed up the process. As I recall, once you feel the rock is cured, you want to allow the rock to sit at least two more days, with no water changes, no movement at all. If the ph is still ok, then you are good to go. What kind of dye did you use? I realize it was Rit, but is that the standard fabric dye, or did you use the cement dye?

The shapes are great, and I like the idea of the cup holders for future frags, very inventive. As I have a 500 gallon to fill, I have a lot to create, but it will be worth not taking it out of the ocean.

Keep up the great work.

Howard

You were asking for opinions on the shape of the rock in the pictures. I don't like them very much. The real thing doesn't have little holes and caves in them.

Also, IMHO the pink rocks themselves look like barf. But I would like to see them in an aquarium; it would probably look better.

All in all, I think it's cool that you are making your own rock. That's creative!

re

re

Is your homemade rock kind of brittle. I have made the rock with three different recipes. They are not real strong. I can break small peices off pretty easily. Do you have this problem. I am letting it cure in the moist sand for a day and then putting it in water for several days. Any ideas how to make it stronger. I do not want it to crumble in my tank.

Hey guys,

I wish that everyone would get into making their own live rock. Here in Florida, LR is 7-9 bucks a pound! Go figure! Not to mention the way that it is "Harvested".

Our reef club
ACROS

I am hosting our meeting this month and we are making rock!
I live in Venice, Florida and anyone intrested please post in our thread for info.

I like the purple dye. Good shapes. I will take pics of the meeting and the rocks that we made and post them.

Heres my cure tank
73180TheDipTank.JPG

Keep the ideas flying
Nathan

Back