My fish and corals survive 7 days in 66-70 degrees temperature :-)

ycnibrc

STAG HORN DOMINATE REEF
Well just coming back from Hawaii from a 7 days vacation. It's always happened when I'm away on vacation lol. Long story short my power surge with heater trip so no heater for the reef tank :-(. My buddy Vu came over to check the Electrical panel and we hope that the circuit pop but no luck.

I was bump and having nightmares walking into the house and smell the dead fish and corals. The temp vary from 65- 73 for the 7 days. Well no fish lost and only the Lps are closing but not dead.
This taught me a new lesson regarding how many heaters I should have on a power strip. And my fish are super fish hahaha
57ff0ff08303190d8eae20c92038f571.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nice! You've created a pretty healthy home for them, glad it worked out.

haha all this talk about temperature swing killed corals and fish are not 100% accurate. My tank usually is set at 76 and it went down to 65 at 1 time.

Yeah and if you've ever snorkeled a real reef, the temps fluctuate all the time with cold upswells and currents. In the 80's my tanks would jump 4+ degrees in a day without issue, sometimes more.

I routinely run my wreaths around 73° because that's where they tend to stabilize at my normal house temperatures

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

i can't believe that nothing is dead. I was thinking about freshwater tank on the plane hahaha

Cold just slows everything down, had the same problem as you before Apex was a thing. Tank was sitting at 65 for a week or 2, wasn't until I did a water change did I realize it was super cold! Heat on the other hand will kill in a few hours.

i can't believe that nothing is dead. I was thinking about freshwater tank on the plane hahaha

Oh oh oh text me if you get into fresh water bro. I want to talk to you about the ultimate time saver filter I am using :fun2:

I had a similar enjoying a trip to Hawaii except it was summer. Got an alert from my Apex that temp was hitting 84 degrees and climbing. Not sure if my chiller died or what. Webcam shows one fan on my tank fell off :( Only cooling left is my sump fan which is in the garage. Garage was hitting 100 degrees. This was the week when Socal was in a heat wave of 105+. Remotely open my garage door for a few hours to cool the garage somewhat. Told neighbors to keep an eye of the open garage door. Turned on my home AC. This helped as I was only 3 days into my 2 week vacation in Hawaii. Came home and fish and corals were fine. Pump to chiller failed which is why tank was heating up.

For you if you were on vacation you could of turned on your home heater if you have a smart thermostat.

Now I have everything redundant. Two controllers, two heaters, two separate circuits. PTZ Web cam on tank. Home heating and cooling can be controlled remotely.

Back