My Innovative Marine 40g nuvo tank build!

lewisw1

So I have been in the hobby since about 2010 and every tank I've built has been done by buying used items and with the purpose of trying to set the tank up quickly and cheaply. *NOT THIS TIME! *I've done the research, I'm buying everything brand new, and I'm buying what I believe to be high quality equipment. *I am very excited for this build. *I am doing an Innovative Marine 40 gallon novo tank. *I wanted to go smaller this time and really focus on making this tank professional quality without having to declare bankruptcy along the way lol. *I also built my own stand. *I wanted the stand to be a little bit taller than stands normally are. *Anyways here we go with the build. *Here is a list of the equipment I've gotten so far and a couple I plan on getting soon:

- Innovative Marine Nuvo 40 w/ custom built stand
- Innovative Marine midsize Ghost Skimmer
- Innovative Marine midsize minimax media reactor (going to run a mix of GFO and Carbon)
- Kessil a360w LED light
- Kessil goosneck light attachment w/ 90 degree adaptor
- Kessil Spectral Controller
- Ecotech Marine Vortech MP10QDw with controller mount
- Tunze 3155 Osmilator Auto Top Off
- Innovative Marine Custom Caddy media rack (sticking with one right now"¦may add another later)
- Innovative Marine fish guards (for the overflows)
- Cobalt Aquatics 150w Neo-Therm submersible heater
- My rock is Bulk Reef Supply's Pukani live dry rock (ordered 30 lbs, but I wont need nearly that much)
- Still had my RO/DI unit from my last tank a couple years ago (had to replace all the filters)

Equipment I will be getting soon:
- The new Neptune Systems Apex controller with all the gadgets (will get Neptune's two part dosing system to accompany once my coral population is large enough to warrant it)
- Either an AquaMax or Two Little Fishes Phosban media reactor. I am going to make my own Macroalgae reactor in lue of not having a refugium. When I do this I will replace the stock return pump with two Sicce Micra Plus pumps. One for my normal return and one to feed the reactor. If I can fit a Sicce Syncra Silent line pump back there I will, because I would like to put the reactor under the tank in the stand rather than have it hang on the back. (This will be done similar to the video that Marine Depot did on macroalgae reactors)
- Trigger Systems Auto Top Off reservoir - sapphire (probably the 10 gallon)

I just started the process of curing the rock this weekend. I have my rock in salt water in a 32 gallon Rubbermaid Brute trashcan with a inexpensive 100w heater, a powerhead, and no light. I will let it cure for about a month, but the real test will be with the ammonia levels stop spiking and settle at a consistent zero. I just want to make sure that the curing process removes everything on the rock and I am as close to nutrient free as possible to start the cycling of the tank. When the rock is done curing, I am going to move the rock to the tank and begin the cycling of the tank. I will add some Instant Ocean Bio-Spira to give the tank a good starting population of beneficial bacteria. I am thinking that the cycling should take another month, but it could take more or less who knows. Whenever my levels are right is when I'll be done. I am going out of town for Christmas, so I will probably wait until after the new year begins to add my first fish (two clownfish to be followed shortly by a rose bubble tip anemone).
I am thinking about adding a bag of Marine Pure bio-media to the media rack to give the take a large increase in surface area for biological filtration. The top of the media rack will have some sort of filter pad or filter floss that is effective, but also easily and cheaply replaced. I want to keep this clean. I haven't decided what the last shelf of the rack will be yet since I am running a media reactor. I've had tons of success in the past with Chemi-pure, so maybe just add one of these for redundancy. The other overflow will have the Innovative Marine filter sock that came with the tank. I have two since I replaced one side with the media rack, so I will be able to alternate them when I have to clean the other.
As far as in the tank, I will be doing some live sand from the local fish store. I will probably do a two inch sand bed or so. The sand along with my pukani rock and maybe a bag of Marine Pure will serve as the main areas for my biological filtration. I have also given thought to doing a mini refugium in the media rack if the macroalgae reactor does not do well for hosting copepods and such. I am hoping between the reactor and the rest of my tank that I will be able to host a pretty healthy population of copepods so that I can have a Mandarin Goby eventually. As far as fish, I want the two clowns, a yellow tank, the goby, maybe a sand sifting goby or some sort of shrimp/goby pairing, but we will see as I get closer. I also want a fire red shrimp. As far as corals, I want this to be a mixed tank of everything from softies to LPS to SPS. Basically whatever works in the tank and looks good to me is what I will pursue. As the population of corals get introduced and require more that water changes for trace elements, I will decided how I want to dose. It will probably be two part and I will probably just invest in the two part dosing that Neptune Systems sells to go along with their Apex. I'll see as I get closer and can do more research there. I have always manually dosed as I tested, but this time I want more consistency and will do two part probably.
Anyways, this is where I am starting out and I would love to hear what everyone else thinks! Pictures coming in a bit. Suggestions welcomed! Thanks!

Alright so this is my first attempt ever at uploading pictures to a forum so here goes lol...

Beginnings of the stand. Used red oak for pretty much the entirety of the stand. Got a pocket hole jig to try to make the build as clean as possible while maintaining strength. This is the top and bottom:

Next was to attach the legs and top:

Here it is inside with trim and the facings:

And my dog Chewie decided he wanted to sneak in a picture:

Finally got it finished and painted after long hours spent on it. Got the stand in its resting place...had to get the wife to place it where she wanted it. And got the tank on it as well. Decided to go with a black paint instead of a stain, because just personally I think the black stand with this tank is really clean looking:

Pic of the rear "sump" area of the tank with the skimmer, media reactor, and everything else in it:

This next pic is how I attached the RO/DI system to my cold water washer line. Never had a permanent setup for my RO/DI system before and now that I have it along with my Brute trashcan in my laundry room I am loving it:

This last pic is of some of my rock pre-cure in the tank. Messing around with some aquascapes. I got way more rock than I needed lol. This is only about a third of the 30 lbs I ordered. I think they actually sent me 34lbs. Either way I will have plenty and be looking to unload some rock after I'm done:

I'll measure again when I get home, but I believe it is about 38-40". I wanted it a little bit taller than normal tank stands.

Nice start!! I'm setup up mine shortly just gathering my materials. I'm going to start my stand build this weekend. I like it High as well I was thinking 40" for mine too. I want it to be the highest possible without jeopardizing any stability.

I was the same way. I always feel like a lot of stands are too low and put the aquarium at an awkward angle below a good viewing level lol. You can easily go 40"+ with this tank depending on how you build the stand. I'll be posting a video soon of the first stage of the build to include the stand build. I used all red oak and then reinforced the inside of each of the corners of the stand with 2x2s just to add extra stability. It is rock solid. The pocket hole jig I used really helped too.

Two new updates while the rock is still curing:

1.) There was a problem with the wet side of my Vortech MP10QD and so I called Ecotech Marine. They were great and very responsive! I sent them a quick video of the sound it was making and they put a new wet side in the mail two day shipping free of charge! It got here quickly and when I put it on, it immediately was quiet. I was very impressed with the service of Ecotech and having owned other MP10s in the past I have to say this new quiet drive one is even more quiet. Love it!

2.) The other update is my new mount for my Kessil a360w! I got Kessil's new mount and replaced the gooseneck one. I still like the gooseneck, but the new mount is so nice! It is clean-looking, more stable, stays in place, more easily adjustable to the height and position you want, and most of all it has a great cord management system! It was a bit of a pain at first getting the cords down the conduit, but with a little bit of string I was able to pull it through without an issue. I would highly suggest this mount to anyone with a Kessil light! Here are some pictures of the new mount:

really nice job with the stand. Seems like a good start to a tank.

I do wander and maybe i missed it but why an AIO and not over flow with sump? Just seems if you want the best chance to have a nice looking easier to take care of tank you would add a sump to gain some total water and have the flexibility to add other things as needed?

Again just wandering what the biggest draw to the NUVo was?

Good question! It was really a combination of a size for the space and money thing. I looked forever for a 45 gallon cube that would be reef ready, but the only thing I could find was having one custom build for twice the money. My lfs wouldn't drill the tank for me and I didn't feel comfortable at this point doing that in our first house lol. If it would have leaked and it been my fault that would have been a disaster lol. This one was about the size I wanted and I could do everything in the space I had for the tank for the right price. If I was going to get one reef ready for a decent price it would have had to be the 60g cube or a 75g. I've had a 60g cube before and it was good, but I didn't want another one. And if I went that big I would have wanted to go 90g at least. Then it became a money thing at that point lol. So for the time being until raises come in my job I went with this. I could have gone bigger, but I would not have been able to invest in the best supporting equipment that I really wanted. Bigger tank would have meant a $350-400 sump, bigger/more vortechs, one or two more lights, bigger skimmer and other equipment...and I still am gonna get the new Apex controller with all the gadgets lol. It would have gotten ridiculous at that point money wise. In a couple years when I upgrade and can easily afford it, I will definitely be building no less than a 120g (hopefully 200g+) and hopefully keep this one for a smaller specialty tank:).

I also have IM Fusion 40 and it is currently still cycling. My IM Ghost Skimmer Mid size is brand new, and I am debating whether to keep it or exchange it for Aquamaxx HOB-1 for the same price which looks much better quality build. There are so many mixed reviews of IM Ghost skimmer.

I also have IM Fusion 40 and it is currently still cycling. My IM Ghost Skimmer Mid size is brand new, and I am debating whether to keep it or exchange it for Aquamaxx HOB-1 for the same price which looks much better quality build. There are so many mixed reviews of IM Ghost skimmer.

I went from a different brand skimmer and replaced to an Aquamaxx WS-1, while not the same as HOB-1, I can speak to Aquamaxx build quality and performance.
It absolutely crushed the other brand nano skimmer I was using in my AIO tank.

Yeah I thought about the Aquamaxx, but due to how well the IM fits in the back I wanted to give it a shot. I have read a lot of good reviews on it as well, so I'm wondering if the not so favorable reviews are because a lot of people don't know how to break in and tune a skimmer. I know I used to struggle with it and wasn't patient enough for the process lol. I'll try it in this build and it will be a good test for people to reference at least.

Yeah I thought about the Aquamaxx, but due to how well the IM fits in the back I wanted to give it a shot. I have read a lot of good reviews on it as well, so I'm wondering if the not so favorable reviews are because a lot of people don't know how to break in and tune a skimmer. I know I used to struggle with it and wasn't patient enough for the process lol. I'll try it in this build and it will be a good test for people to reference at least.

Yeah I know. I returned by Ghost Skimmer for an Aquamaxx HOB-1. I am not having good experience with Tunze 3152 nano ATO, and I don't want to gamble again by sticking with the ghost skimmer with so many bad and meh reviews.
On top of that, I now want to chamber #2 for refugium and chamber #4 for biomedia rocks. So no more space for in sump skimmer, and the HOB works better now.

I've never used the Tunze nano ATO, but the one I got has been rock solid for me for a couple tanks. I've never heard of it failing personally. The combo of the float valve and the electronic eye is great. Definitely worth the extra money for the peace of mind.

I almost did a refugium in one of the chambers, but I decided to try a macroalgae reactor. I think it might be more effective in the long run, but time will tell. The size of the chamber refugium is just kinda small. I am planning on weekly water changes, so hopefully that will take care of most everything that the equipment doesn't.

What is macro algae reactor? Which one you are using?

I just need a handful of chaeto nothing bigger than that. It should be enough for our 40 gallon tank which realistically less than 40 gallons after sand, rocks, and equipment.

A macroalgae reactor is basically a media reactor with a led light source on it that pushes flow through the chamber and has some sort of macroalgae in it. Marine Depot has a great video on how to build one on their YouTube channel. I kinda wanna try one. And it would allow me to use a bit more chateo than the refugium. That being said...I may still end up doing the refugium if I don't like how the reactor works/fits/looks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I found the answer myself but thanks though. It is interesting idea but I think I am going to go with in tank refugium. One less thing hanging out of my tank is better for now. I already have Aquamaxx HOB skimmer.

Back