My Nano Builds

bshow24

Well, I've been patrolling these forums for a while now, and figured it was time to show my builds for my 28 and 8 gallon tanks. (please excuse my terrible pictures!)

This is what it all use to look like:
28 after (3 years ago)

8 before:

then....there was a crash. After obtaining some really nice pieces and dedicating a lot of time and money (as a broke college student) this really hit me hard, as it wasn't of any fault of my own or the tanks. All corals ended up dying, the anemone shrunk to barely a nub, and I began to neglect the tank due to the reminder of what was :sad1:

But now, I'm back with a vengeance!

First off, the equipment:

28 Gallon:
Ecotech Radion XR30 Pro w/ Wide Angle Lenses
Maxspect Gyre 130

8 Gallon:
Ecotech Radion XR15 Pro w/ Wide Angle Lenses
Ecotech Vortech MP10

10 Gallon Sump:
SWC 120 Protein Skimmer
Ecotech Vectra M1 Return Pump
NextReef MR1

These bad boys run on an Apex Controller w/ Leak Detection module and an Avast Marine Auto Top Off unit. I'm looking to add a new Doser and Auto Feeder within the next few months, and possibly a PAX Bellum ARID as well!

28 gallon:
What started as a budget friendly FOWLR tank, turned into a full on reef. This tank is my main display tank at the moment, and the goal is to grow my few SPS frags in here as well as some nice Zoas. As you can see, or can't see possibly, all my corals are small, but they'll grow! The Clowns in here are a mated pair and lay eggs every 3 weeks. One of these days I'll take the time to raise some.

Full Tank Shots:

Oregon Tort (It's turning purple due to the light...great):

Red Planet:

A Mini Colony of sorts (if you know what this is, let me know!)

8 gallon:
This will soon turn into my "Zoa Garden" as I obtain more and some in the first tank grown out. Right now it's empty, but I do have a pair of Picasso Clowns and my best looking RBTA in here. They love that thing and rarely ever show themselves anymore...little stinkers...

Full Tank Shot:

Picasso's and their Anemone:

Coral List:
Here's my current list of corals. I'm not looking into too many more SPS but may feed my Zoa Obsession a bit as the weeks go on.

SPS:
Purple Monster
Oregon Tort
Red Planet
Pink Lemonade
Aussie Echinata

Zoas:
Utter Chaos
Rasta
Valentines Day Massacre
Blondies
My Clementine
Tyree Orange Rainbow
Pink Zipper

Hopefully you guys like it! I'll keep updating as I add things and make it look beautiful again.

Last edited:
Nice. Curious on your thoughts with the mp10 in your 8 gallon. I'm considering adding one to my fusion 10. Guessing you see good results. What do you run it at?

Nice. Curious on your thoughts with the mp10 in your 8 gallon. I'm considering adding one to my fusion 10. Guessing you see good results. What do you run it at?

Originally I thought this would be too much power, but I actually run it on Pulse mode at 30% and it generates a great random flow in the tank. I use to use it on ReefCrest and there were way too many dead spots. The great thing about these is the customer service is awesome and if I were to ever upgrade, I don't have equipment that would be useless!

Originally I thought this would be too much power, but I actually run it on Pulse mode at 30% and it generates a great random flow in the tank. I use to use it on ReefCrest and there were way too many dead spots. The great thing about these is the customer service is awesome and if I were to ever upgrade, I don't have equipment that would be useless!

Was hoping for a "I hate it...save your money" :thumbsup:

Was hoping for a "I hate it...save your money" :thumbsup:

Whoops! I've heard great things about WP10s from Jebao, just haven't come around to try it yet. But by the looks of it, could be a perfect option for that tank.

If only they made a mini maxspect gyre, I'd be all over it. The one in my 28 made a world of difference for eliminating dead spots.

Whoops! I've heard great things about WP10s from Jebao, just haven't come around to try it yet. But by the looks of it, could be a perfect option for that tank.

If only they made a mini maxspect gyre, I'd be all over it. The one in my 28 made a world of difference for eliminating dead spots.

I was comparing the WP10 and RW-4 as I've heard good things about both of them. Might be worth a try for the price.

Back