my new tank

josh holt

tomorrow hopefully i pick up my new tank. ill post pics when i get it. i decided on a 40gal that a friend of mine has for my new reef tank. the tank is 36"L x 15"D x 18"T. it has a fairly tall stand which i like. now the big question for me is SPS or softie. softie tank is easy but i miss my SPS. my thoughts for lighting is a single halide with two t5. for filtration im thinking just a sump and skimmer. ill have plenty of live rock so a fuge wont be needed. if anyone has any input let me know.

picture.php

well since the last time i posted pictures rc has changed how its done and i cant seem to figure it out so i cant post any pics yet.

been collecting parts for my tank. for lighting i picked up a dual 175 halide. i have a 30" acrylic sump and i picked up a blue line extrernal pump for my return pump. picked up a cpr cs102 overflow but may be a little overkill.

so my parts list as of now. 40 gal display, eshopps pf800 overflow, large sump, blue line external return pump with two 1/2" penductors, bubble magus nac6 skimmer, two koalia 1 powerheads and dual 175 metal halides. waiting for overflow, penductors and skimmer to arrive so i can set up the tank.

got my skimmer, overflow and penductors today. also pickeed up two 15k iwasaki bulbs. hopefully the tank wil be running this weekend.

04cb9092.jpg

tank is up and running. just need to finish some small things. looks like im going to need a chiller. lights were on for 8 hours and the tank was 86 degrees. no fans yet so hopefully that will help some.

thanks krowleey. i really like the dimensions of this tank. if i upgrade tanks in the future i will stay with the 36"long but go 24" or 30" deep and 20" high. i wanted to do another sps tank but didnt want to deal with maintenence on another large tank like i had before. plus my plan is to stalk about tenor so corals and work on growing them out rather than working on filling a tank with as many corals that that i can fit.

well my tank has been running 5 days shy of a month. did my first water change today. also pulled the skimmer out and cleaned it. tomorrow or the next day ill check my parameters and hopefully start stocking some fish. now i just need to get the doors for the stand finished and also get the canopy finished.

well my tank has been running 5 days shy of a month. did my first water change today. also pulled the skimmer out and cleaned it. tomorrow or the next day ill check my parameters and hopefully start stocking some fish. now i just need to get the doors for the stand finished and also get the canopy finished.

i do hope you plan to QT your fish. now is the perfect time, you have no parasites in your clean tank. QT is a must, and just as important as filtration. good luck.

no qt tank. i have thought about it but unfortunatly dont have the space to set one up nor do i really have the space to store an empty setup for when i need to qt something. plus all my frags will most likely come out of one tank that i know is parasite free.

well after a few months of my tank running i have noticed that i just dont take care of it enough. so i have decided to sell it and get out of the hobby. im selling the entire setup for $500 obo. ill also throw in any misc stuff i have.

Back