My new wrasse died - what did I do wrong?

djryan2000

A couple months ago I purchased a tiny green coris wrasse from my LFS. I put him in my QT tank and after a few days he popped out and started eating. I kept him in there for 6 weeks at the salinity the LFS kept him - 1.017. Over the course of the next two weeks I let the water in the QT tank evaporate until the salinity came to 1.025 - my DT. After being okay in 1.025 for a few days I decided it was time to add him to my main tank. I drip acclimated him in a bucket for 30 minutes and all seemed well. I was able to catch him and put him in my DT, and he immediately darted into the sand. This was 10 days ago.

I never saw him again until I found him today lying on some rock, belly up.

64d082d74bc4cdb9cfec28d64f1502bf.jpg

Everything was going so well before I added him. Any guesses as to what killed him? Was it likely starvation? Or maybe aggression from my current fish when he came out? Or did I do something wrong along the way? I feel terrible.. my second fish death.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forgot to add - my water parameters.

Alk 7.7 DKH
Ca - 440ppm
Mg - 1410 ppm
Nitrate - 10 ppm (Yay!)
Phosphate - undetectable by salifert kit
Ammonia - 0 ppm
Nitrite - 0 ppm
Salinity - 1.025 sg
Temp - 79 F
pH - 8.15

Sometimes you never know. Could have been another fish. What's he in there with? The acclimation was harmless, but not needful. That's the only unusual thing in the outline, unless you have a test that's not reading right, and in only a year of membership, no new test ought to have gone 'out.' A non-hermit crab could have done it. Sting of a nem could do it. just hard to say, absent more details.

Sometimes you never know. Could have been another fish. What's he in there with? The acclimation was harmless, but not needful. That's the only unusual thing in the outline, unless you have a test that's not reading right, and in only a year of membership, no new test ought to have gone 'out.' A non-hermit crab could have done it. Sting of a nem could do it. just hard to say, absent more details.

In the tank are a pair of clowns and a neon dottyback. There's also 5 hermits or so. Corals are zoas and my Duncan frag. All are happy.

My best guess would be the dottyback based on their reputation - however he never attacked either of the two clowns that I added one at a time after him. I always figured him to be a "œfish don't read textbooks" fish and to lack their typical aggression.

Back