My Reef Life - How I've Grown

crichard6069

Hello all -

I don't post much on here these days but I felt like making a post today. I was a bit bored and was "thumbing" through some of my old RC posts (from back in 2003 when I started) and found it interesting how much I've changed since then as a reef keeper.

Background
I've been in the hobby now since summer of 2003 (with a 2 year hiatus).

I've also made some monumental mistakes and have probably been a nightmare to some people here on RC in my early days. However, I've also had a ton of enjoyment out of this hobby.

I started in this hobby when I was 23, about a year out of college. I've always enjoyed freshwater aquariums and I think I was sitting at work one day and googled "Saltwater fish". The rest is history...

At 23, I had no money to do anything right. I bought everything used, cut corners, etc. I started with a 55 gallon tank from ebay with plain old HO florescent lights. I knew enough to let it cycle but followed it up with disaster after disaster. Who knew medications weren't reef safe? What the hell are these white spots on my fish?! A protein skimmer? It was bad.. very bad. So I did the only smart thing.. I upgraded! Got a larger tank (yes, I thought it smart to go buy a used 150g). The 150g didn't turn out too bad. Granted, I filled the thing with water from my garden hose but it was mildly successful. I ended up selling the tank when my wife and I moved (well, my girlfriend at the time) but picked up a used 75g shortly thereafter. Also mildly successful but I didn't get very far with it. We soon found out my wife was pregnant and I decided I need to save some money and take a break from the hobby. That was nearly 4 years ago (my daughter turns 3 on Saturday).

Present Day
That brings me to today... a couple years after I had been out of the hobby my brother-in-law bought a reef store in Roanoke, Va (I live in Massachusetts). For Christmas that year (2008) he gave my 6 month old girl an 8g biocube. Insisted it would be inexpensive, etc.. and just like that I was back into the hobby.

I'm a bit older now. Still broke, but no longer 23. I'm 31 now and I'm a huge fan of doing things right and not cutting corners. Currently I have a 70g cube with primarily softies in it. I added my first three SPS last week since the tank has been up for exactly 1 year. I've got the full setup.. RO/DI unit in the basement, a 55g sump (old tank) plumbed into my basement, metal halide lights (supported with a corallife T5 fixture that I hate), etc. I have ricordia mushrooms and yumas coming out my ears. I'm going to have to start taking some out cause they're taking over my tank. I have 5 or 6 ricordias in there that are nearly the size of a softball. A couple of leathers which have grown to massive proportions, frogspawns...

I'm very excited (and nervous) about adding my first few SPS. All of them came from saltwaterfish.com - I picked up an acropora frag, montipora digitata, and a birds nest. We'll see how they do.. parameters are definitely stable enough and they're under a 250w MH.

Anyhow.. I thought I would include some pictures of my 70g. The most recent picture I have is from April its missing all of the massive growth over the last couple of months. Here are some pictures from the start of it last July:

The start (or "restart"):
IMG_3230.jpg

The cycle:
IMG_3344.jpg

The sump in basement:
http://s256.photobucket.com/albums/hh180/crichard6069/70g_Cube/?action=view&current=IMG_0598.jpg

Full tank shot in April:
2011-04-24_20-06-53_807-1.jpg

My ricordias:
2011-04-24_20-08-34_899.jpg

That's about it for now. I didn't want to slam this thread with too many pictures. :)

Hopefully the new SPS's will thrive.. we shall see!

Chad

Looking good. Watch those softies -- they can grow pretty fast. When I moved to my current tank about two years ago I decided not to have any softies except for some rics which seem to be receding (water too clean? I don't know) these past couple of months. I'm sure your SPS will do fine.

Yeah maybe someday I'll get the softies out of there. That'll depend on how successful I can be with SPS. I love how the tank of the months look and most (if not all) that I've seen are SPS dominant.

Thanks for the compliment on my daughter too. Her new little sister will be here in a couple more weeks. :)

Back