My tank needs a restart

DeepSeaBeauti

Will Fielitz
Like the title says, My tank needs a restart. It has been struggling for years now. I partly blame vertex cause I was one of the beta testers and was holding out for the new cerebra that is now just a bad memory.

I have a bunch of shells left behind by my puffer, rock that's over growing with macro and covering what corals I have left. I've had cheep black box LED's on the tank for a while now and feel they are part of the decline. With solar on the house I'm thinking of putting my halides back on the tank.

I guess where im getting is, where should I start? Your basic gross water change, Remove and scrub some of the big macro off the rock, Stif up the sand bed cleaning out the shells, all the above?

Will

Will, any corals left you want to keep?
If not Chloroquine Phosphate will kill all your algae & corals.
IF you can get it, best bet would probably be Aquarium Pharmaceuticals.
Spraying peroxide on the rocks out of water will do a lot to kill it too.
Safe to put back after a couple of minutes because it changes to water.
Another med too like Fluconazol could help.

Will, any corals left you want to keep?
If not Chloroquine Phosphate will kill all your algae & corals.
IF you can get it, best bet would probably be Aquarium Pharmaceuticals.
Spraying peroxide on the rocks out of water will do a lot to kill it too.
Safe to put back after a couple of minutes because it changes to water.
Another med too like Fluconazol could help.

There are a few corals I would like to keep. Those I can keep seperate. I forgot to mention i did a Fluconazol treatment a few months back. took care of all the GHA and some bryopsis but I have some strange branching like bubbly macro growing now.

I have never heard of the Chloroquine phospate treatment. Ill have to look into this. Its is just a rock soak? I have to imagine no matter what I do with a heaving cleaning I will end up with a cycle, right?

Should I do anything for my fish, star fish, crabs while I do all this?

Been reading a lot about "Cooking" Live rock. So far I have done some basic cleaning. Removed a lot of easily removed macro, a lot of shells. The aptasia in the tank is getting out of control. Im thinking of taking a bunch of the rock that is loaded with it and without corals out of the tank and putting it in tubs with out lights to kill off whats there for a few weeks to months. Does anyone have any experience with this? How did you do it?

Back