My very first clam

Thanks, I have been reading everything under the sun about clams for the last few months prior to getting him. The picture really doesn't do him justice though lol.

Yes he is pretty small. About 2"
We have DT's and have been feeding him every other day. In fact I just got done feeding him earlier. I noticed earlier that before he was fed today his mantle was a bit translucent (you could see some light though it). After he finished eating it wasn't that way. Could that be?

Very nice clam. Since it is so small I think that you really need to be feeding it everyday until he grows another inch or two, then you can cut back.

Are you spot feeding it in a seperate container? Smaller clams really need to be cared for much greater than larger ones.

Bill

Actually the way I have been feeding him is I cut the bottom off of a 2 liter bottle and put it over him and then I mix up some DT's with tank water and use a turkey baster to squirt the mixture into the 2 liter. (Being very carefull not to stir up the sand).

Feeding everyday is the way to go? From all the posts I have read in this forum I gathered that every other day was the right thing to do there.

OK everyday it is :)

Just from my experience I had a small maxima clam that I tried and it didn't make it. I wish that I had known about feeding phytoplankton before getting one.

Also do some checking into what size clams they are talking about when feeding every other day. The little ones don't get some of their food from the light like the larger ones do. Also one of the best books to by is:

Daniel Knop
Giant Clams: A Comprehensive Guide to the Identification and Care of Tridacnid Clams

Hope that helps you out,
Bill

I have several clams under 11" I do not feed phyto. IMO it is NOT necassary. I was told by the aquaculturr of these clams not to, and his advice has proved right.

I know there are other RC membes that share mysame viewpoint.

John

johnrags1234,
That maybe true for and 11 inch clam, but not for a 1 to 2 inch clam. Completely different here. Baby clams do not get much of their food source from light at this stage.

Adult clams will however get food from the light, but IMHO they should still be fed Phytoplankton whether it is home cultured or purchase to maintain their overall health and survival.

With proper care clams can live for a very long time in the aquarium.

Just my thoughts,
Bill

bgerrard said:
johnrags1234,
That maybe true for and 11 inch clam, but not for a 1 to 2 inch clam. Completely different here. Baby clams do not get much of their food source from light at this stage.

Adult clams will however get food from the light, but IMHO they should still be fed Phytoplankton whether it is home cultured or purchase to maintain their overall health and survival.

With proper care clams can live for a very long time in the aquarium.

Just my thoughts,
Bill

WOOPS! I typed two '1' s. I ment to say I have several under ONE inch clams.

john

johnrags1234

Any picsof these tiny babies?

How long have you had them?

I do not agree with the theory that these tiny guys do not need fed.

I try not to order these ever, in my experience clams under 2.5" do not fare well for the majority.

I am glad you are having success, but if you are, you are in a very small minority.

Rob

Well I think that you will be very fortunate if they live longer than a couple of months without feeding them phtyoplankton.

Good luck and I hope you didn't spend a lot of money on them. Plus clams under 2" inches will barely even grow without being fed and I really don't think that there is enough food supply for them in our tanks alone with out being fed phytoplankton.

Plus clams aren't the only thing that will benefit from feeding phytoplankton. Your corals will get the benefit also.

Thanks. Just MO nothing more,
Bill

I couldn't agree with you more Rob.

I am pretty sure it has to be a very rare incident to have a successful story without the dosing of phytoplankton.

What bothers me about this is that some people feel that they can avoid the extra cost by not dosing phytoplankton which in my opinion is a very bad idea because it will eventually lead to the death of the clam. Basically if you can't afford to feed them then you shouldn't be buying them in the first place.

Culturing your own phytoplankton is very easy and very inexpensive to start up and keep it going.

Wish I had done it along time ago instead of putting it off.

Bill

I was just reading the other day that croceas and maximas under 2" should be fed phytoplankton because the algae in their tissue does not provide enough food for them to live. Can't remember the source right now, but I am reading Giant Clams by Knop so that is likely it.

Back