Nano Lighting

fireborn230

I am starting up a 16 gal bowfront nano...it is 20 wide so i am concerned about finding lighting. any suggestions? I see many different sizes available from 18" 20" and 24" in power compacts....will an 18" or a 24" with feet adjust to fit a 20" tank? Also if anybody knows of lighting thats very lean on the amperage draw i would really appreciate it, this bow is going in my dorm room next year and they are very anal about power consumption. Thanks in advance! -Russ

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6937371#post6937371 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by fireborn230
I like that orbit 20"...would that be a sufficent amount of wattage for my size tank?

what are you planning on keeping?

IMO, you can probably go with a Quad 96 so that you're choice of stock can be flexible enough for most corals. On the other side of the coin, I kept a 150 Aquaspacelight oover my 7 Minibow at 20K spectrum and raised young clams before they get moved into my 125. What type of filtration are you planning on?

even though the Quad has more wattage, the actual useable watts are less than the orbit, plus he is trying to keep his electric down, so the orbit would really be best. You can pretty much keep anything except for stuff like SPS and clams. for what you want to keep, that light would be perfect.

I am actully planning on setting up a fuge with a in sump skimmer in a cabinet underneath my tank...im not really a fan of the hang on mechanical filters so im trying to hide it all underneath. I use a refugium for my 75 and it works great...im sorry im not familiar with what SPS and LPS mean, it might help determine what lights i need based on what kind of coral im looking at...

SPS are like acroporas and stuff like that, corals like the tanks of the month have :D

You cant really have to much lighting and neither one of thoes are going to give you to much.

I know you are supposed to have for a nano 3-5 watts per gallon this is correct right? How much lighting would i need if i wanted to put in clams and SPS coral?

ouch. i dont think i can use that in my dorm room...i think they would litterally have a cow. I guess what i was asking earlier before my last question is if i get the one PC at say, 130w, and then later add another 130w will 260w over a 16gal be too much wattage for the tank or is more truly better?

Back