Nano owners, thoughts on a design?

RokleM

Premium Member
I've got a buddy who wants to get into the hobby in a very minor way and has an apartment. He wanted a custom tank, so I was thinking about whipping something up.

Any of you nano owners have any input? "back" wall and overflow will be black. Size is about 11x11x16. To explain the overflow, the round hole is a "backup", with the square hole at the size being directly over a vertical sponge. I'm thinking about compartmentalizing the back section, but haven't decided yet. The two return holes will likely be Tunze mini's that do about 50-100 GPH (not nano-stream).

Google Sketch-up is COOL once you figure out how to use it :idea:

Nano1.jpg

Nano2.jpg

Nano3.jpg

Beautiful design! I wouldnt mind having one of those for myself! Make sure you take pics of the work in progress... some of us might want to try it some day :D

It'll be the first "real" full time tank I'll have built. I've built a few QT and grow out tanks.

I will indeed take pictures.

04.17.2007-1.jpg

Is that rear section to be used as a refugium? I dont mean to hijack or anything, but how much (materials) would a DIY tank like that run?

I would make the back a fuge for sure, with some macro algae.

And then make little compartments just to protect the powerheads. Looks cool though, I'll have to swing on over to google sketch up.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9828116#post9828116 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by MrMexReefer
Is that rear section to be used as a refugium? I dont mean to hijack or anything, but how much (materials) would a DIY tank like that run?

Materials are easy (maybe $75ish including the pumps), it's the tools to create it that are costly.

Yes, I'm thinking a refuge in the back section would be a good idea as well. However, I just have to figure out how best to go about it. The heater obviously needs to float back there as well.

Anyone else have feedback? Ideas? Anything that is missing or that you have on your nano that might benefit this?

without crowding the back area, mayby you can incorporate an crylic shelf for holding frag plugs. I know I personally would LOVE something like that in my tank. Also, on the floor, you might want to put some barriers to hold a DSB, or at least to keep the sand in check back there ... my hang on back fuge has the whole floor open, and it gets annoying with the pumps.

I would make 2 suggestions.

As far as the heater goes. Since it’s a plastic container, keep it shielded from the sides. There are rubber sleeves you can get. I can’t tell you how horrible it is to see some one come home and the tank leaked out where the heater in an acrylic tank melted through.

I use electrical egg crate to keep the macro algae out of my pumps. You can glue it to form any shield you need or just drill some Plexiglas.

It looks good so far. What type of lighting are you going to go with? T-5, LED or MH?
Any decision on livestock and so forth?

Hey Eric,
The mini Tunzes are great little pumps. I am running 2 of them in a NC 6 along with 2 Mini jets in the rear chamber on a wavemaker. The only problem I have had with the Tunze mini’s is that they get clogged very quickly.
That being said, Tunze does make some great products but, I don't think they put out the flow that Tunze states. I would look at the Mini-jet 404 or 606 for pumps because they are also adjustable.

Jon

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=9830171#post9830171 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by smash102
It looks good so far. What type of lighting are you going to go with? T-5, LED or MH?
Any decision on livestock and so forth?

It's for a buddy, who probably hasn't the slightest clue ;) I'll start him off with a few easy things like a stalk of Xenia and a few mushrooms.

I have a 12" 2x18w PC I was going to start him out with.

Back