NCReefDude's 50g cube

NCReefDude

Hi everyone!

I am new to the forum after lurking for awhile. I decided today that since my tank is up and running, I should hop on the site and log it as it goes and show it off to our community! I bought the tank from a person who used it just for a Mantis Shrimp, and will be moving, so she decided to sell. I've been away from the hobby for roughly 5 years (moved all around the middle Eastern US Coast), but I've finally planted some roots so I'm getting back into the hobby. In the past I've had a 55g, 120g and a 29g Biocube.

Here's how things currently sit with my 50g now:
36x18x18 Deep Blue 50 gallon and stand
36" Current USA IC Pro LED Lighting
2 - Current EFlux 660GPH Wave Pumps (connected to lighting via LOOP System)
2 - Koralia 425GPH older style Power Heads

20G Sump:
Filter Sock
Carbon via Filer Media Bag
ASM G1 Protein Skimmer
Heater
Mag Drive 7 Return Pump
Mag Drive 700GPH

Livestock (Fish):
Yellow Watchman Goby
Yellow Assessor
ORA Orchid Dottyback
Black Clown Goby
Midas Blenny
McCosker's Flasher Wrasse

Livestock (Inverts):
2 - Skunk Cleaner Shrimp
Tiger Pistol Shrimp
Fighting Conch
Cleanup crew from Reefcleaners.org
Gold Maxima Clam (isn't doing so hot been trying to figure out why)

Corals:
Acan Lord
Acan Enchinata
Lobo
Purple Stylophora
Red Monticap
Green Favia
Duncan
Orange and Green Zoa's
3 - Candy Cane corals (bright green, dark green, blue)
Frogspawn
Hammer Coral

Tank has been set up for roughly a month and a half. As mentioned, I bought this from an individual that used it as a mantis shrimp tank for 3 years, which included the rock and sand. Unfortunately her mantis didn't make it, so of course I don't have him in the tank, haha. However, I added more live rock and better lighting/flow/etc. to turn the tank into a reef. Since everything was already set up for so long, there really wasn't a cycle. I ran the tank roughly 2 weeks without fish just to make sure.

Maintenance:
I do a 20% water change weekly, and every few days stir up the sand. Nitrates are less than 5. I dose Calcium/Alkalinity/Iodine when necessary and every few days I use Brightwell Aquatics "Replenish" in the tank.

Plans:

Fish:
I think I am pretty much at my limit with fish. I am contemplating a pair of clownfish, due to the fact that the YWG literally stays in one spot and the Clown Goby doesn't really add much to waste. I wanted to do a Coral Beauty or Flame Angel, but don't really want to risk it. Also considering a female flasher wrasse to keep the McCosker's male colorful and flashing.

Inverts:
The only thing I am potentially thinking about adding (way in the future 6mo or more) is a anemone for the clownfish, if I decide to go that route. I would love to add a starfish, but I just don't think that will be a good idea in a 50g tank.

Corals:
All of the corals I have are small frags, so I'm excited to watch them grow. I am doing a mixed reef, so I will be adding other SPS and LPS as the tank matures.

That's it for now! Let me know what you all think. I'm excited to be a part of the community here.

C8QepWi.jpg

70nDGwB.jpg

WuPNvHJ.jpg

gnPnjv3.jpg

mNrNWfQ.jpg

I use IMGUR picture hosting. There is an option there that let's you autosize the pictures for forums and message boards.

How do you like the Current USA lights? I'm going to use the eFlux return pump in my new IM Lagoon 50 because it's the only DC pump I can find that will fit in the return pump chamber. It would be nice to use the whole Loop setup but I've seen mixed reviews about the lights. How are yours doing?

How do you like the Current USA lights? I'm going to use the eFlux return pump in my new IM Lagoon 50 because it's the only DC pump I can find that will fit in the return pump chamber. It would be nice to use the whole Loop setup but I've seen mixed reviews about the lights. How are yours doing?

I love it so far. My uncle has it with the return pump and it is great. Everything seems to be happy in the tank and having one remote for everything is nice.

Back