Need Advice on overflow choice..

Overtighting the bulkheads is what causes them to leak. What I was trying to tell you is the you have to seal between the box and glass, unless you put the nut on the inside of the tank.

Kim

do you guys think there will be drastic amount of difference in noise from Bean's setup compared to the glass holes? has anyone setup the glass holes kit? i really liked it because it incorporated a durso into a very small unit, and the overall size of the box itself is small, so for like a smaller tank like mine its good..Bean's setup is definitely better, as far as safety features and quietness, but just not sure...thanks for all the inputs, greatly appreciated..

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14321556#post14321556 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by anin
do you guys think there will be drastic amount of difference in noise from Bean's setup compared to the glass holes?...

YES. Bean's design is S-I-L-E-N-T

I have 2 glass-holes 700 GPH overflows in my 180

All I hear is a little trickling sound (that I like)

The fans in my light are louder

yea actually spent some more time reading bean's setup, since its fully submerged,there no chance of air, so it dead silent..but i also hear good things about the glass holes kit, which could a little space inside the tank..

With a full siphon setup like Beans or done with 2 drains, the only noise you have is the water moving in the pipes. It is silent. There is no vent to allow air, so no gurgling, no trickling just quite.

Kim

I am going to add a word for lifereef.com.

Excellent.

I have used external overflow's almost exclusively and this one is top-notch. If enough water is moving through the box to make a difference to the tank, I don't think that one can "fail", except through serious neglect.

That said, I am always pondering a Calfo-style drain and the glassholes solution is simple if you don't mind drilling.

Good luck!

Back