Need advise: used Hydra 52's or new Hydra HD 52's

TURKLET0N

I am trying to figure out which ones to buy. I know of a person selling two used Hydra 52's for $650. I could also buy the new Hydra HD 52's for $1200. I'm trying to figure out if it's worth it to save the money to buy the used ones or just spend more and buy new with the perks of the HD. Thank you in advanced.

I am building a 150 gallons tank with fish, hard and soft coral in it.

I have the hydra 26 HD. I really it a lot. If you have the money go with the HD best technology now vs used and then having to upgrade in the future. The light is very easy to control from the AI app. It took less than 3 mins to setup and get running. It is longer process to program but once you figure it out is easy.

Unless the older version comes with the controller, I would probably just buy the new lights. That said, I'm not sure how much better the new lights are outside the integrated controller. If you run LEDs like this near full power and you aren't bleaching the heck out of your corals your tank is at least 36" deep.

Assuming your tank is a standard 6 ft 150, then I think having only 2 lights is going to be a bigger problem than which version of the Hydra 52 you have.

Back