Need advise

Vorog

I bought a new tank Deep blue 75 gallon with corner overflow (NOT rimless). I want to run a 40 gallon breeder sump. The 75g is 48x18x21, and the 40b is 36x18x16... All the pre-made stands I've looked at are 16 inches deep too narrow for the 40 breeder...So I will build my own stand. I'm trying to figure out a way to build a stand wider than the tank is to fit the sump. And what is the best way to do it. I have been talking with a RC member who gave me a ton of advise on the structure support because I want the stand to not have a vertical support between the doors. I want one big opening. I'd rather the tank sit flush on the front and have the stand be longer in the back (up against the wall). Just seeing if anyone here runs a 75g with a 40b sump. And or how to build the stand.

If your going to run the stand without center support put an extra board on the bottom back cross beam and slide the sump back enough to clear the doors or whatever you have planned for the front

Here a few shots of my older setup that is exactly what you have. It was just a 2x4 frame. I think the foot print of the stand was in the neighborhood of 52x19. Which gave plenty of room underneath for the 40B, then just skinned it with 3/4" wood. If you're worried about not having a center support you can always use 2x6's for the top frame instead of 2x4's but, 2x4's should be plenty for a 4 foot span.

Make the front and sides an extra 2x4 thick. Match the bottom to the outer top 2x4's. Pm me for contact info if you want pics.

Just frame out with 2x6". I've done this with just 2x4" with no center brace with no issue on a 90g. It's only a 4' span. Just put a sheet of ply on top.

Here a few shots of my older setup that is exactly what you have. It was just a 2x4 frame. I think the foot print of the stand was in the neighborhood of 52x19. Which gave plenty of room underneath for the 40B, then just skinned it with 3/4" wood. If you're worried about not having a center support you can always use 2x6's for the top frame instead of 2x4's but, 2x4's should be plenty for a 4 foot span.

Thank you for posting that I was going back and forth with ideas. I am framing the top with 2x6's SYP board. And I wasn't planning on putting ply on top, but I might just do it anyway. Do you remember by chance how tall you made the stand? From the pictures that is about how tall I want it to be.

I was able to make a stand for my 150 without a center brace, just used vertical 2x8's across the entire 6' length and haven't had the slightest issue in over 2 years. Here is a great link to how to build your stand that I pretty much followed on the dot and it was perfect:

http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1169964

After searching for stand builds I ran across that thread it is a great write up on how to build one. I think I'm going to be fine. My major concern wasn't about not having support in the center, rather how to fit a sump that is the same depth as the tank lol

Back