Need help on CaRx vs Dosing 2-Part SPS Tank

cprice

I currently have a 150 gal DT with an additional 140ish gallons in my sump/fuge/frag tanks, so about 300g total.

(Build thread if interested:http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2559937)

I have a mostly SPS tank with about 30-35 different frags right now, most are 2-3 inches. I am getting to the point where I want to automate the supplements. I am just now setting up an APEX and would be using the APEX DOS if I decide to go with the dosing route. If I go with the CaRx I would probably be looking at a dual chamber Reef Octopus skimmer or something similar.

Dosing seems to be easy to dial in, can be controlled via the Apex or simply through the doser if I go with another brand of pump. My main concern with the 2-part method (or 3 part because I would does Mag) would be the recurring cost of the additives.

A CaRx is expensive to setup initially, but i have heard that in the long run, for a tank my size, it should cost less. I also don't mind the complicated setup as I enjoy complex systems and have a firm grasp on how the reactors work. I also like the idea that both Ca and Alk are added in the correct ratios, along with trance elements that may not be available in the 2-part. I also like the idea that I don't have to refill a reservoir each week or so with more supplement chemicals. I like "set it and forget it".

I also have a nice Kalk Reservoir with automatic stirring that I can use to supplement either method.

I just want to make sure that I thoroughly think this through before dropping some cash on a nice CaRx setup.

A few things about my system:

Heavily SPS stocked with a few nice Acan Colonies, Zoas, a Torch, Green Goni and a green/purple Hammer.

Total system volume: ~300 Gallons
New lights to be installed this week: 3 Radion XR15s and 4 T5 ATI bulbs
Chinese Blackboxes for my fuge and frag tanks
Bubble Magus Curve 9 Skimmer with auto neck cleaner
DeepWater DC12 Return
Chinese Blackboxes for my fuge and frag tanks
60 Gallon Fuge
20 Gallon Frag Tank
75 Gallon Sump

Current Params:

Temp: Daily swing from ~77.5F to ~79.5F
Calc: 445 ppm
Alk: 8.5 dkh
Mag: 1800 ppm (recently raised to kill of bryopsis. Worked! Will be bringing back down to 1450 ppm)
Ph: 7.7 (working on raising it to 8.3)

TIA!

So, I missed the point of your thread I think. Did you have any questions?

I'm looking for suggestions that would point to either solution. Or suggestions for anything that I may not have thought of.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

From what I've heard, the best monetary solution is a calcium reactor. Once your frags start to grow and use up a lot of calcium and alkalinity, you'll be spending a lot on the 2-part additives.

Choice, it's up to you. I currently use my APEX and the DOS, and it works great, but I have ~35 gallons total water volume and 6 or 7 frags. When I upgrade, I'll most likely go big and buy the best possible calcium reactor so it's one less thing to worry about.

With a tank your size, a calcium reactor will be the best long term solution. dosing 2-part is good with a new tank with a lighter load because it's so much easier to adjust. You can also dose 2-part on top of using the CaRx to fine tune your numbers. Basically what I'm saying is you could start with dosing pumps and 2-part and invest in a reactor when demand is great enough, eventually phasing out the dosers once the tank is filled in and mature. use the DoS for automatic water changes or dosing other additives.

Get the calc reactor. You won't regret it when a reef that size grows out. Especially with a lot of sps. Yes, more expensive to set up but you get the benefit of dosing back trace elements in addition to alk and calc.

Sent from my XT1096 using Tapatalk

I dose now on my 60, have great results, but burn through lots of two part. I have a doser so it is not a big deal to mix up the 2 part once a week. Once the 120 gets up and running I will transition over to a CaRX once funds become available.

Back