Need help {RPE}

cubano2480

In Memoriam
Hi everyone.

don`t know what happen to my RPE they look really bad and I found this here is a pic
83017thghj.jpg

what can I do??? do anyone know what is it??? same thing is happening to my eagle aye the others zoos are just perfect please guys help meeeeeeeeee.......

thanks

Looks like a nudibranch. I've seen some brown spotty ones like that recently. Doesn't look like a nudibranch at first, but if you get it into some water, you'll see the feathery appendages open up.

Do Mucho's fresh water iodine dip. If you don't have Lugol's, you can use 2x the amount of regular drugstore tincture of iodine.

Maybe a less stressful dip than fresh water is the Reeffarmer's recommendation for saltwater iodine dip. That one won't kill the nudi's right away, but it's a good general purpose dip.

For fw dip, I use 2 drops tincture of iodine in a quart of water for 5 minutes. I match the temp and I add a big pinch of Kent buffer or baking soda. I use a turkey baster and blow the heck out of the zoos, to knock loose the bad guys.

For sw dip, I use 20 drops tincture of iodine in a quart of water for 15-20 minutes. Same deal with temp, buffer, and baster.

After that, you should check the polyps for nudibranch eggs.

Check out www.zoaid.com for pics of the bad guys:

http://www.zoaid.com/index.php?module=pnGallery2&func=main&g2_view=core.ShowItem&g2_itemId=384

Good luck!

The circled creature looks to be a stomatella snail to my eyes (they're a good guy), but it isn't the best picture.

Regardless, I don't think any (visible) predator can be blamed for the way those zoanthids look. Notice the pinched heads and overall wasting appearance of some of the polyps? I'd do the dip AND frag deep into healthy territory. In my experience it is also best to discard those with the pinched/rotting heads, especially if this condition has already spread to another colony/type of zoanthid.

I've personally never had luck with these red "PPE" cousins and they started the 'zoa-plague' that wiped out a great many colonies in my tank.

Water changes and testing wouldn't be a bad idea either.

thanks guys I will do a dip right now and remove some off those with the pinched/rotting heads like DensityMan say, Mr. Ugly I like the sw dip 20 drops tincture of iodine in a quart of water for 15-20 minutes. Same deal with temp, buffer, and baster. that sounds perfect to me, will let u guys know was up and the fanny thing is that all my zoos are better than ever I also have some rare pink PPE really close to the reds and they are growing like crazy ..............

thanks again

i have several different protopalythoas. and i have noticed the burnt fringes of the skirts on some before. it always has happened when a frag fell into another protopaly frag. they sting the heck out of each other. or, it could be some kind of alk/calcium burn possibly.

cant tell what the slug like creature is without a better picture. it could be a number of different things.

make sure you have very good flow directed on the polyps. that will also help them

Take a pic of the "slug" thing for us after you dip the zoas.

I thought stomatella at first too. But the ones in my friend's tanks looked like that. And the brown spots turned out to be the nudibranch appendages pressed flat against the body. We saw that once the nudis were off off the polyps and just in the water.

Definately frag out any questionable looking polyps, and then some.

Don't forget to look for eggs.

they look better already thanks guys here is a pic
83017Picture-026.jpg

Tha thing on that pic was like a orange sponge not sure what is it but was not a nudibranch looks like some kind off eggs I`m not sure

thanks a lot

Where are you positioning them in your tank? I've found with RPE's that they prefer lower light ie the bottom of the tank. That may be something to consider if you see any additional problems with these guys.

Back