Need help testing new app that color corrects for LED blue light in real-time

seahostler

Blue and actinic light from LEDs has been ruining my reef aquarium photography for a long time. When I joined the hobby back in the early '90s, MH was the game not just because they're amazing, but because pics of tanks with MH looked INCREDIBLE (and still do) compared the VHO/Power Compact/T5 equivalents. The new game is LED and everyone is sharing pics of their coral and fish but instead of them having the great reds, oranges and greens, they're dosed in this blue tint making their colors inaccurate.

So what did we do? We started buying DSLR's and shooting in RAW and turning our tank photoshoots into professional photoshoots. We turned off our blue lights, we bought orange gels and safety glasses. We traded photoshop filters and played with white balance cards,... and for what? So we can get at least one color accurate shot of a frag we can see perfectly fine with our naked eye.

Let us all reflect...
Okay, stop reflecting.

Enter our hopeful hero, Aquarium Camera. It dreams of one day ridding the internet of bad reef aquarium photography. It's designed to color correct the actinic light from LEDs in real-time on your smart phone. The thing we take photos on for everything else in our lives, except our tanks... until now.

It works because it does it's magic on the camera sensor BEFORE your iphone/ipad has a chance to compress the image and permanently write the pixels in your photos. Correction works live on video or photos and I've spent a ton of my free time on it (instead of maintaining my tank... okay maybe 50/50).

So with that, I need your help. I don't have that many lights (and neither do the aquarium shops around me). I need your help testing the app on your various lighting setups to make sure it actually does what it's designed to do.

It's free to sign up to Beta test or if you want to jump into the deep end (pun somewhat intended) you can find it on the Apple App Store (Android coming soon).

Thanks guys and anxious to see if we can help rid the internet of bad reef shots!
http://aquariumcameraapp.com

I came here to ask someone how the heck I make my s8 take good pictures with LED lit tanks. I have an android though :(

Please help!

Currently trying to convince the fiance to install it on her phone. She signed up for the beta test, just waiting for confirmation I think.

I came here to ask someone how the heck I make my s8 take good pictures with LED lit tanks. I have an android though :(

Please help!

Currently trying to convince the fiance to install it on her phone. She signed up for the beta test, just waiting for confirmation I think.

I just sent out that invite to her. I think she's prepared to humor us, haha.

The Android version is in the works. I'm finalizing version 3 on iOS before I finish it so that Android users aren't a version behind.

Here are a couple shots Before/After I took at the Kessil booth this past weekend in Chicago at the Aquatic Experience. These are on the A80 (Tuna Blues).

Attachments

• IMG_5678.jpg
    IMG_5678.jpg
    93.4 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_5679.jpg
    IMG_5679.jpg
    97.6 KB · Views: 2
When you have a beta test for the Android app send me a PM, I take tons of pics, and funny enough my LEDs come this week. Would love to test.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Add some more testers from the thread just now. Are you guys having issues downloading? I'm seeing that nobody has it installed yet. Let me know.

Your app WB set to max of 8k
IMG_0105-L.jpg

IMG_0103-L.jpg

IMG_0102-L.jpg

IMG_0104-L.jpg

And roughly the same with ProCamera, WB set to its max of 10k.
IMG_0109-L.jpg

IMG_0108-L.jpg

IMG_0107-L.jpg

IMG_0110-L.jpg

I purchased both your app and ProCamera...
These were taken with iPhone 7+, but I get the same results with my iPad Pro and her iPhone 7...
The Samsung S8+ I have blows both away with its Pro Mode, but I broke the screen on it so...

I think we need to be able to get the WB up around 15kmax to have a chance...

Both set of pics were taken in a darkened room, under a Kessil 160, of my 12" cube nano...
Pretty much just placed the phone against the glass...

Tank Pic with the Apple camera app...
IMG_0111-L.jpg

Last edited:
Back