Need help w/ ich please

almtz

7 weeks ago i noticed that my blue hippo and purple tang had white spots on them and assumed it was ich. after some reading here i decided to run the DT Fallow for 6 to 7 weeks while treating all the other fish in QT.

Well....last week i upgraded my DT from a 90g to a 210g and in the process of changing (used same LR, Live sand and water. plus additional 70 lbs of LR and sand) I decided to transfer all the fish in the new DT, the fish went through a 6 week quarantine, some with cuppramine and prazi and others with quinine sulphate and prazi. The 90g ran fallow for 6 weeks and 4 days.

Yesterday before a go to bed i go and check on the fish and the blue hippo has about 3 white spots in it AGAIN!!!!. Shouldn't the ich be erradicated with the 6 week fallow period?

what is my course of action now? My LFS said that i could use the quinine in the DT just take out the corals and inverts out and put them in the QT. i am leaning towards this since it will be a PITA to try and catch all the fish (10 of them) from the DT and will need to setup QT (i only have 2 10 gallon tanks to use as QT, got rid of another one i had 2 days ago, though i wouldn't need it anymore :mad2:)

I've heard that a tank will not be rid of ich for up to four months if you're running it without fish.

Can you just catch the blue hippo and put him back in the quarantine? Seems like the easiest way to treat him...

Not sure who recommended 6 to 7 weeks, but needs to be fallow for at least 72 days (10+ weeks). This plays well with what we know about the Ich life cycle, specifically the cyst stage.

what copper level did you maintain during the fish QT and for how long? recommended is .5ppm for 4 weeks.

oh, and as for a recommendation, IME the best bet is going to be:
(1) fallow 10-12 weeks for DT
(2) Tank transfer method for fish to get rid of Ich; keeping the fish in a larger temporary tank for the remainder of the DT fallow period.

Sorry you are going through this! There are very few long term hobbyists that haven't been through it as well.

oh, and as for a recommendation, ime the best bet is going to be:
(1) fallow 10-12 weeks for dt
(2) tank transfer method for fish to get rid of ich; keeping the fish in a larger temporary tank for the remainder of the dt fallow period.

Sorry you are going through this! There are very few long term hobbyists that haven't been through it as well.

+1

it doesnt matter if he just isolates the hippo and treats alone.. parasite is in the system.
if you dont want to remove fish let them be and monitor fish can deal with mild strains.
add a UV will help...

Back