Need help with a fish study....

bullseye_234

Hello everyone I'm new to the aquarium hobby but completely obsessed! Currently I'm a college student and could use an experts insights on a case study in which I am to pick something and follow it to its source. In my case I intend to pick a saltwater fish and coral from its end store and do some backward programing to find where exactly they originated. As a personal side objective I want to explore the aspects of the industry which are sustainable and which are not. With that said, can anyone help point me in the right direction about who the major distributors are? who are the major fish farms out there and which I can trust to be ecologically friendly and which I cant??

I appreciate any and all responses!
thanks

For SW fish farms, look up ORA, C-Quest, and Proaquatix. For wholesaler/distributor's, just take a look through any of the print magazines such as FAMA or Aquarium Fish, the big ones all advertise. As far as how much info they will give you on source, some might be tight lipped...and some might not take the time to answer questions from someone that is not a paying customer.

One reliable retail source that does there own importing is Dr. Foster's and Smith's Live Aquaria. The director of Aquatics is Kevin Kohen, he might be willing to help you out with those questions in regards to their operation, and he'll be honest with you.

Back