Need help with dosing?

kayraw

Been testing my tank recently and I'm starting to realise that water changes alone are not going to keep my water parameters maintained where I want them due to an increase in corals in my tank.

I want to get my alkalinity up to around 8-9dkh and I'm thinking on using a 2 part system.

I'm curious to know what you guys are using to dose your tanks with? And what results you're having? Any help would be appreciated as I'm currently trying to gather as much information as possible, thanks.

Been testing my tank recently and I'm starting to realise that water changes alone are not going to keep my water parameters maintained where I want them due to an increase in corals in my tank.

I want to get my alkalinity up to around 8-9dkh and I'm thinking on using a 2 part system.

I'm curious to know what you guys are using to dose your tanks with? And what results you're having? Any help would be appreciated as I'm currently trying to gather as much information as possible, thanks.
Can you provide more info on your setup.....equipment, type of corals (SPS dominant?), etc?

I would recommend to dose three stock solutions with separate dosing for consumption für ca, Alk, Mg.
Forget about often talked about ion balance. Much better to keep the levels where they should be

For alk so called buffers from NaHCO3 and Na2CO3 are best you can do (ph not affected). Several commercial ballingsalts already have this mix (Fauna Marin, sangokai, AF)

For Mg I recommend MgCL2 instead of MgSO4

"Even better" than just adjusting and keeping ca,alk,Mg levels are recipes that "add trace elements" to the containers for Ca and Alk (eG FaunaMarin, AF, ATI)

That is the best solution in my eyes.
Limewater, Ca reactors etc are not as flexible.

Salts from established manufacturers give you more security and maybe better purity than ones from cheap suppliers

Wishing you success for whatever system you decide

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk

For now I've just ordered some of red seas reef foundation abc and also picked up some of seachems reef builder. Anyone have any experience with these? My current parameters are..
Calcium 420
Dkh 5.1
Magnesium 1480

kayraw, if you look on youtube, you can find the BRS video (bulk reef supply) explaining two part dosing.
many companies will have their own version, like the red seas reef foundation. it is easier to start with dosing just the three (ca, alk, mg) on its own using BRS kits or DIY solutions and start from there adjusting the levels in your tank. Cheaper in the long run. Once you figure out that alkalinity swings are bad for your system and you need to dose daily to keep up with tank demand then that's when you will want to look into a automatic dosing pump or a Calcium reactor (which is another thing entirely from the 2 part system)

holy low KH batman! I haven't used the redsea personally, but with anything, start with the recommended dosage (which is usually safely low) or even a little less, and see how your parameters react. Just don't expect your KH to be 8+ tomorrow. On your first dose, test before and after. Day two I'd do the same. Day 3+, continue to test daily. This early in the process and having never dosed before, you're best off testing frequently and making only minor adjustments to your regimen. Remember, all good changes happen slow!

EZ makes a good point about an automatic doser. Anticipate making this upgrade sooner or later!

I'll also add that the seachem reef builder, being a dry product, is a bit more complicated given you'll need to mix it. Do not dose it directly to your tank. I know you already ordered it, but I'd honestly leave it on the shelf as backup and just use the red sea stuff until you get a handle on dosing and your tanks requirements.

For now I've just ordered some of red seas reef foundation abc and also picked up some of seachems reef builder. Anyone have any experience with these? My current parameters are..
Calcium 420
Dkh 5.1
Magnesium 1480

this is really low alkalinity, I would start raising this slowly but immediately !

Back