Need new overflow box.

Nwest

So now that the tank is going in trying to work out the kinks in it and did some research on the overflow and it's only rated at max 394 gallons an hr. My return pump does 290-800. This would explain why when I turn it up at all it gets LOUD and won't cut it. So my new problem is find a new overflow. Shouldn't be to bad I found the glass holes ones. Are they any good or can someone recommend a good one to me.

Can you post a picture of the current overflow box, specifically the weir?

Edit: Nevermind, just saw your other thread.

You could try the glass-holes box.

If it were me, I would first remove the current box and cut the teeth off the weir, sand it smooth decreasing grit size. Attach plastic gutter guard inside the box. Both the sides and top to keep anything from entering the box and possibly clogging your drain. The gutter guard can be purchased at Ace Hardware. Doing this will double your surface skimming.

Where is the noise coming from? The box or the drain? If it's the drain there's a few options to reduce noise. Drill a larger air vent and stick an RO line deeper in the drain to allow more air to escape. Cut a larger whole for a larger bulkhead and larger drain pipe to handle more volume or put a valve on the return line to dial back the flow.

Also it appears your drain terminates above the water line in the sump. I would submerge it 1" below the water line. That will muffle a lot of noise.

Last edited:
Can you post a picture of the current overflow box, specifically the weir?

Edit: Nevermind, just saw your other thread.

You could try the glass-holes box.

If it were me, I would first remove the current box and cut the teeth off the weir, sand it smooth decreasing grit size. Attach plastic gutter guard inside the box. Both the sides and top to keep anything from entering the box and possibly clogging your drain. The gutter guard can be purchased at Ace Hardware. Doing this will double your surface skimming. The Teeth on the weir are actually spreed apart quite a bit. Also it does have a feed pipe from below the box that water flows up so its not just suface skimming. Not sure how I like this.

Where is the noise coming from? The box or the drain? If it's the drain there's a few options to reduce noise. Drill a larger air vent and stick an RO line deeper in the drain to allow more air to escape. Cut a larger whole for a larger bulkhead and larger drain pipe to handle more volume or put a valve on the return line to dial back the flow. The noise is coming from both the drain and the sock holder. This actually does not have a air vent in it and was thinking about putting one in there to see if that helps.

Also it appears your drain terminates above the water line in the sump. I would submerge it 1" below the water line. That will muffle a lot of noise.
The sock holder is a Tunze one and it actually does go below the water line but I am still getting A LOT of air and bubbles coming out of it.

The hole and airline tubing in the airline will make a huge difference, can you take a pic of the plumbing coming off the back of the overflow? Is it just a 90 degree or is it a T fitting? For the drain, unless there are bubbles getting back into the display I wouldnt worry about it, maybe just make a cover out of acrylic or something to reduce the noise and water splash from the bubbles.

The back of the tank its just a 90 into the tunze hose. There is a cover over it also but still loud. I am used to bean overflows before where you couldn't even hear them.

I have one of the DC tunze return pumps and I cant even turn it up at all other wise it starts making so much noise. I truly think that the overflow just cant handle it. Its only rated up to 390 gallons per hour per tunze.

I'd add a T to the bulkhead instead of the 90, my first tank with a sump had a 90 coming off the overflow and it was so loud I wanted to scream, then a simple tip, cap it, then drill for a 1/4" airline and it was much better.

Why not do a bean animal with a coast to coast over flow? Would be dead silent and you would have amazing surface skimming. If you dont want to drill the tank for the bean id still run a coast to coast over flow box.

Back