Need some help asap.

rlf_racing

Alright, I just moved my 75 gallon tank. No major issues other I didn't have enough buckets. So went out and got some more. Now I put a level to the floor to see how much it would be off so I know what size shims i would need. I got the stand all level prior putting the water and rock back into the tank. Now the water and rock is back into the tank and it is not level any more. Tank is completely back up and running. SO WHAT DO I NOW??????

how bad is it? you may be able to get the plastic shims from home depot and hit them under the stand to level it back up.

You could drain most of the water into buckets or a new trash can, re-level it and put the water back in.

It is off by about a half inch on one side. Which has me worried a little bit since it is a glass tank. I really didn't want to have to drain the some of the water back out of the tank. It seems I have no choice in the matter.

Sagging floor?

Sagging floor?

Is your home on a sub-floor? Is your tank on the second floor or is there a crawlspace or basement underneath? None of the following applies if you are on a concrete slab. If the leveling changed after you added the rock and water it sounds like the floor itself is flexing under the weight. Place your level on the floor next to the tank. If there is a crawlspace under the floor you could buy a couple of concrete piers (solid concrete blocks with metal straps for attaching to the floor joists) at your local Home Depot. Get youself a good straight 4x4, or better yet a 4x6 and set it on the piers perpendicular to the floor joists. You can set your shims between the new beam and the piers to level the floor. You may need to use a bottle jack on the low end to get any real movement in the floor. Once the floor is reinforced it won't move, unlike shimming the stand which may last only temporarily. If the tank is on the second floor with a finished ceiling underneath it gets more complicated. If you want to shim the stand I'm affraid I have to agree with others. You'll have to remove some weight and compensate with extra shims.

It is in the basement, if that helps. Sorry I didn't mention that earlier. So, is the only option for is to drain some of the water out to level it? Or is there another option out there?

If you are in the basement it sounds like your tank is on solid ground. It may be a pain but removing rocks and water are your best choice. If the stand is open and you can get a small floor jack underneath you might be able to raise it on the low side enough to add your shims under the stand legs. It could be risky though if the stand is not sturdy enough and flexs to much. Good luck.

I would drain it and re-shim. Try to figure out why it didn't work the first time and fix the problem.

I agree that you must drain it and re-shim. Get and use a level this time to make sure it is level in both directions L to R and F to B. Especially a glass tank.

check the level on the floor before you drain out any water then check it again after you have to see how much,if any movement is in the floor.

i agree with the guys about draining and starting again, if you dont it will bug you forever and ever, you will always want to do it and you will wish you had, u just gotta do it

I used a level in both directions the first time. I will be redoing tonight so I wont have to worry about stressing the tank. Thank you to everyone for the help.

Rob

Well my dad said he could relevel the tank without draining the water. I didn't think it could be done, boy was I wrong. It is amazing what can be done with a couple of pry bars and shims. Oh, patients. Well the tank is completly level and no more worries. Thank god. Moving a 75 gallon tank is a lot more work than I thought it would be. After moving this tank makes me think I might want to downsize to a couple smaller tanks. I am going to have to move again in another year, year and a half.

Rob

P.S. Again to everyone, thank you for the help.

Back